Author Topic: backed ERC for mollegabets?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Dante_F

backed ERC for mollegabets?
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:56:13 pm »
so today I went to a woodworking store to check out the materials and the first thing to catch my eye was the erc and later saw some hickory and maple as well as some maple at home depot, so since erc is good in compression and the others in tension would it be a good combo for a molle? also is heartwood better than sapwood or the other way around, never used it before.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: backed ERC for mollegabets?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:20 pm »
If done right, this could make a nice shooter....and BEAUTIFUL!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:10:58 am »
Hickory is almost bulletproof as a selfbow if you find the right board. ERC can be iffy but it can make a good backed bow.
Do you have a way of cutting a hickory backing?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:04 am »
One of the projects I am working on.  My plan is to sinew back it.  Pretty straight grain, one little waggle in the handle but not bad otherwise.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
Length?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:05:50 pm »
wait is that sapwood or some really light heartwood if so which is better. is light colored heartwood any good either or is it to be avoided?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 04:30:43 am »
I did a sinew backed ERC molle once. It shot well. But I learned one thing. Run a layer of Aimee up the levers. This one was mostly heart wood. It had a good profile when braces before sinew backing. After backing and bracing for te first time after, the levers were flexing a LOT. And they were roughed out almost 1” thick. If I was thinking I would’ve just used a shin of a dense stiff material like black locust, bamboo or something of the sort in the middle of the lever. But I used a splint of black cherry deon the center, one on each side and one down the belly of the lever to stiffen it. I wasn’t thinking that black cherry wasn’t much stiffer than the ERC.
Essentially what I’m getting at. Stiffen the levers, or theyll be flexing. But it does make for a nice shooting low mass bow.

Kyle

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 05:29:04 am »
Weird streak in it. I am gonna put some type of stiffness on the levers for sure. I have a good bit of the sinew busted up. I just need to get a “ round tuit”.  I think it’s 63 64 inches long. Gonna see what happens.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.