Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Unlimited?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Hawkdancer:
Badger?  Weigh in, please!  How does this figure in to practical/hunting archery?
Hawkdancer

PatM:
One could argue that the main benefit of a longer draw and arrow is to put it in an advantageous position for using the muscles to draw it properly and direct the arrow to the target
  The old  unlimited  bows had a forward extension of the handle make it feel as if they were actually being drawn to a full draw length.

Del the cat:
This stuff is what hooks you into flight archery... striving for the sweet spot  ;D.
I tried a 16" arrow from "Ill Bastardo" which normally draws 28", but is 50" @16" It felt fast, couldn't see it go, but it only made 150 yards (v strong headwind).
I currently have two 50# flight bows being built to test against my current one... the best will get shot near the end of May.
Del

PatM:
That's the reason why the best flight bows of almost any type have always hovered around that 42" length.  I wouldn't be surprised if that also hold true for even self bows.  However back in the day sinew etc. was adopted before that was truly explored.

Badger:
     One reason for short arrows is that you can use a very dense material and still have enough stiffness with very little drag. One of our newer flight shooters is a physicist and last year he made a statement that there is not much point in shooting an arrow much faster than its terminal speed when falling. I had never really thought of that. Currently longer draws are dominating in the self and longbow classes. A 90# elb I built a couple of years ago set a new record at 450 yards with a 28" arrow. He told me he had reached over 500 yards with it in practice right before the shoot but I think he may have overdrawn it and caused a little set in the bow. I think well built flight arrows properly tuned to the bow are the big challenge. There is not enough difference in bow speeds to account for the huge differences in the distances achieved. It is not unusual to see well over a 100 yards difference in arrows all shot from the same bow in the same round. One of our archers shot what i think was a 14" arrow from a 70# modern american longbow and broke a 35# record. Not too many of the flight shooters today are able to get out and practice enough to really develop any kind of solid patterns. The two guys that I know of that do practice seem to favor the longer draws and arrows. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version