Author Topic: Sinew back yew bow, Modoc style  (Read 12258 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Sinew back yew bow, Modoc style
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2019, 07:44:00 am »
Very impressive HD. Ik think the thing that impresses me the most is journey you took to make it. You obviously knew where you wanted to go, and got there by keeping the big picture in mind along the way.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 07:52:02 am »
Stunning bow. I can't believe how smooth your sinew job is too. I am also really impressed with the natural pigments you used and how well it all came together. Great job.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2019, 09:01:06 am »
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the compliments.

Jeffp51 - I think Im going to save the sinew you sent me for a bow backing, you did too good of a job stripping that stuff out for me to practice make a string out of it, Im not good enough at it yet.

Simson - That sinew job is thanks to PatM's tutorial.

Dratera - I think you are right about the water in the pigment that most likely affected the tiller...I thought i waited long enough after applying it, but waiting may have been irrelevant.

NZnuka and PatB - The making of the earth pigment was quite a bit more difficult than the research I found made it sound.
                            I used a mortar and pestal to grind the rock as fine as possible, then placed it in a jar of water for 30 seconds or so and let all the heavy chunks settle out, then carefully poured off the suspended particles. I stirred up the finer particles and let it set about 2 minutes, and once again poured off the finer suspended particles in another jar. I left this jar for a few days undisturbed untill all the fine particles settle out and the water is clear. Then I poured off all the clear water then let the fine "sludge" sit until dry, then scraped into a container.
I went through several series of this trying to get it to work to get a truely gritless particles. Even then it was still slightly gritter. I even tried making a muller from a beer pint that I sanded flat, and mixed the pigment with water and mulled it on a flat piece of glass with the pint mug, then let it dry again. This actually worked quite well. The price of mullers is quite expensive, and the beer pint seemed to work well.
Im sure there are orthers with better ideas about this, because I've only made a different pigments, and each is so different on how they have worked for me. I'd love to hear other ideas.

Thanks again for all the compliments.
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 09:09:50 am »
Maybe some kind of finish over the Sinew,,to keep moisture out,,..then paint that,,,maybe use linseed oil to put the pigment in.....so no water

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 10:37:37 am »
Thanks for the description on the pigment preparation mate! sounds like a fairly heavy process!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2019, 04:57:41 am »
Beautiful bow! Love the paintwork and admire the pain it took to make the paint!

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 05:21:02 pm »
I really like this bow.  Great job. Excellent art work and color scheme, especially from natural pigments.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »
Beautiful Bow HighDesert!  That's one clean looking sinew job.

Offline willie

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 07:08:11 pm »
very pretty bow and a well done job

Offline maitus

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:50 pm »
Best Of Modoc style :D...!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:35:40 pm by maitus »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 06:48:25 pm »
Ohhh Yeahh!!  I love it HD!
Hardly looks like it's sinewed it is so smooth.

I haven't tried silencers on the tips like that before. Never sure how to not mess them up with the string.

Truly inspiring brother

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 12:36:18 pm »
Congrats HD!- in every way!
I like the paintjob as I like pigments, I'm just not so patient to make them myself!
Very nice!
Cheers
B2W