Author Topic: Fumed yew  (Read 9516 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Fumed yew
« on: April 01, 2019, 04:32:06 am »
The stave this bow is made from was a gift from my good friend Erik from Pinaka Longbows. He has tons of good bow wood and makes a habit of giving me the "marginal" pieces. You don't hear me complain;-)
This stave was very straight and only has some pin knots. The only drawback was huge rings and about 1.5 inch of sapwood. The sap rings where so big I could chase them easily with only my drawknife, no scraper needed. Left only two sapwood rings on the finished bow.

I wanted a simple, little lighter weight bow for the upcoming 3d season and decided to make a simple flat bow with flipped tips just for looks and smooth draw.
Tillered the bow to brace and after that boiled the tips and set them with dry heat. There is still some minor twist in the limbs but not enough to bother heating it out.

Added horn tip overlays and arrow pass and started shooting it in. Had to tweak the tiller a bit after 200 arrows or so and called it done.
The handle was just a little to thin but I did not want to flatten it (and thin it even more) to glue on a piece of wood so I build it up with cork and sanded that into shape.

The bow came out very clean looking (read boring to me) so I decided to try to fume it. Had it in the fume pipe for about a week and it came out almost green looking! Luckily this changed to a darker brown after another week of drying. I really like that the fuming did not affect the sapwood. I added some extra stain at the fades and the tips and wrapped the handle with 2 different pieces of leather.
Been shooting it for two months already and the profile did not change at all. Now I know there is some debate over small vs. big rings in yew but I can tell you this bow shoots like a dream and has almost no set. So I will take the big ringed lowland yew any time;-)

Specs:
Wood: yew
Length : 64 n.t.n.
Max width: 1.2 inch
Draw weight: 48@28
Nocks+arrowpass: buffalo horn
String: 8 strand fastflight
Handle: leather wrap

Details

Profiles

Braced

FD

Offline bushboy

Re: Fumed yew
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:46:41 am »
Very nice in every way!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:12:43 am »
That turned out very nice. I love the way your fades look, very graceful. How long did you fume the yew for?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:15:04 am »
The fuming sure gives that yew a rich color. Very nice bow all around.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 05:37:44 am »
Mighty fine.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 06:15:35 am »
Gorgeous bow...
Marginal  :o  ::) ... You guys have a funny idea of marginal  (lol)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:15:04 am »
That’s a really awesome look. Never seen fumed yew before. It gives the yew an aged look. Great job on another beauty.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:43:10 am »
Great bow Leon!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:56:37 am »
Awesome bow!  I really like the sleek lines on the fades.  All around beauty  :OK

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 08:58:05 am »
Awesome. You guys are amazing. There are about 25 of you that have to be the best in the world. So cool to see and be inspired by your work.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:50:38 am »
Very nice!  I like the shading/color!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 02:14:12 pm »
Just way too frickin cool... love everything about it, great work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 06:33:04 pm »
Well it sure isn't boring anymore Leonwood. That fuming really worked nice on that yew. It looks like a really fine shooter to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
 (A) (A) (A) that looks really awesome, if look very closely do i see a hollow limb there? maybe its just me

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 02:10:47 am »
Thanks for all the great comments guys!

That turned out very nice. I love the way your fades look, very graceful. How long did you fume the yew for?
It was in the fume pipe for about a week, scared the crap out of me when I took it out because it was as green as a frog... Luckily that faded after a few days ;D

Gorgeous bow...
Marginal  :o  ::) ... You guys have a funny idea of marginal  (lol)
Del
Yeah I feel the same way, he is just too lazy to take off all the sapwood because he has so many really good staves.

(A) (A) (A) that looks really awesome, if look very closely do i see a hollow limb there? maybe its just me
Well spotted ;D  I do this with all my flat bows now, not really HLD but jus following the crown shape on the back. I like the look of it and my curved scrapers just work so nice (lol)