Author Topic: motivation to finish  (Read 2228 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
motivation to finish
« on: March 30, 2019, 12:55:22 pm »
Anyone else have real problems completing personal projects? I'm fine completing bows for other people but when it comes to my own projects the work goes slower and slower and slower; how do you keep yourself motivated?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: motivation to finish
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:19:55 pm »
As my dad used to say...u don't need to make a job out of it :)
Just take ur time and enjoy the process...most the bows I make,..I gift...so that keeps me motivated,..that being said I have bout 5,...going slowly

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »
Maybe you have to finish a project just for yourself. To your exacting specifications. Something you've wanted to see done for a long time. Totally finished. Then just look at it and enjoy it. Then do it all over again with the next thing you've really wanted to see done. Sometimes it's nice to see a few things done and not so many half done. I still always have a lot of half to almost done stuff to pick up in between though, but it never bothers me.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 01:29:32 pm »
I find its because i value others over me, so the motivation shifts to others. Im just not worth the effort to finish a bow all pretty.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »
I have hunting bows,,,with wrasp marks..and no handle,,,but they shoot the best,.,if I gonna show a bow here I make it pretty ;)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:05 pm »
The bow I’m working on now is from a stave I cut in, mmm, 1995 or so. I have been working on this bow for 24 years. Not really, as nearly a decade has passed since I last worked on it. Various issue with it that I wasn’t excited about, so I would throw it in the corner and work on something else. I’m gonna finally finish this bow, and I’m glad I didn’t rush it (🤣). It has limbs that leave the handle weirdly and I just finally figured the darn thing out. It’s close to cole black in color, so it looks super cool. Now is just the exact right time to finish this bow.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:26:51 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »
Some projects I press on with if I'll get the buzz of seeing someone's enjoyment when I hand it over.
If it's just for myself the detail may not get done.
I remember doing one of the deadly management courses at work once where they "analysed" what sort of character you were... there were 4 basic types, one was creative and one was "completer finisher" (can't remember the other  ::) )... I wasn't too strong on the completer finisher score.
I don't mind getting stuck in and getting the creative part and exciting early build... but if you want it painted polished and documented.... (yawn).
Seein' as I'm not very good at finishing I'd just like to say....
Del  ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 02:45:24 pm »
I have to really force myself to finish a bow, do the sanding and all that. Most of the time because the bow I'm working on is not up to standards and I get zero satisfaction from making it pretty when it's garbage in terms of performance. My last bow took an inch and three quarters of set and I already had it on the chopping block, ready to turn it into firewood when I decided to complete it.

The very first shot after I called it complete it exploded. I'm not exaggerating, it really did explode the moment I called it finished. So yeah... I think it's better to just do as you feel, it's not a job after all. You'll finish your project when you feel like doing it. Considering that it's already bothering you, I'd say you won't have to wait long to get the motivation for it :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 03:15:43 pm »
I enjoy finishing almost as much as the building. My bows have some tool marks, usually I don't see them until I have the finish on them and once there I'm not going back. To me, it's all part of the process. I do try to put 100 arrows through a bow before I add the finish but I round the edges as I go with the building then sand pretty well before shooting. Usually 80 to 120 is as fine as I sand a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:29:26 pm »
For me tillering is the most fun. When it comes to finishing, the bow will get what it deserves. If it's a good shooter I love to give my best finish I can.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 08:15:57 am »
If I don't use up time finishing I would have even more bows taking up space. That said I still don't finish then like Simpson and Weylin.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:37 pm »
No, but taking my time is not a problem. :)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »
Motivation? Yeah! When your done you get to shoot it!
Clatskanie, Oregon