Author Topic: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle  (Read 7263 times)

Offline DC

Re: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 01:48:27 pm »
That stick looks great! You make some really nice bows DC - my hats off!
Thanks Simon-means a lot from you.

Very nice DC. That bow really has a nice bend. It doesn't look stressed at all. Beautiful work and some nice numbers.
Bjrogg

Thanks BJ maybe the bow doesn't look stressed but if you could see my forehead ;)

I also like it and it will help me a lot in something similar in ash and in one piece, very flat and wide maybe a bit longer. Thank you for posting pics all the way throug!
Congrats!
B2B

Thanks B2B -If you're going to try one piece I would make it, at least the first one, substantially longer. Maple and Yew can bend a lot and I deflexed it some which also helps.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 06:06:58 pm »
DC,,That bow came out great. I know you said you where not satisfied with it yet because it shoots a little slow than another bow. Since the bow is shooting really well, in my opinion, maybe you should call it good and start another one and copy your design to work out possible kinks. Either way, great job.

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 06:10:20 pm »
Working on it now ;D ;D

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 06:38:24 am »
Beautiful Don. Well done.

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 09:15:28 am »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys, but I really think you're over estimating my abilities. Sleek gave me a awful lot of help with this bow.
  I'm not done with this one yet. It's 5-10 fps slower than my BooYew and I want to know why. After I shoot it in(or maybe sooner) I want to balance the tiller a bit and then I'm going to start lightening the levers. I still think the key to acceleration lightness, the more of that you can add, the better. I think splicing on the levers was a mistake as that leaves a big lump of stuff right in the middle of the limb. Maybe a finger joint might be better than a "V" joint but no joint would be the best.
Thanks again for all the nice comments :D

Being 5-10 fps slower than ones you already built, im mot certain how much you can say i really "helped" you....

Whats each bow weigh? Not draw weight, physical weight...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 09:22:52 am »
Is physical weight reduction what he is after in the end.   ???
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:31 am »
This one weighs 483 grams(17oz) and the bow yew is 458 grams(16.2oz). There's more in the handle on this one so they're pretty close. I think the limb splice, lever to limb "V" is heavier than it could be. Next one I'm using a finger joint out there. Should cut off a few grams. I just found some aircraft grade Sitka Spruce, maybe I'll go with that for the levers.

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 10:23:37 am »
Possible the weight is close but in the wrong spots like you say.
Regardless, that is an absolutely beautiful bow, your craftsmanship is supurb. I love what you did with it.

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 12:45:16 pm »
Sitka Spruce doesn't like to bend. 45min of steam, steel strap and kink.

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 01:14:01 pm »
I think possibly the performance difference may also be that maple isnt as good a backing as bamboo. You may just be seeing the performance difference in backing capability.