Author Topic: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Woodely

Re: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »

" You mean like a  Finno-Ugrian bow?  "  ...............never heard of that bow before, so I did some research and came up with this.
http://northernwildernesskills.blogspot.com/2010/10/fenno-ugric-bow.html

I never noticed how low the brace height was until I went out to shoot it after I took the pictures. It was about an inch low in the pictures. It's about 6.5" now. The handle is 1 1/8" wide at the arrow pass(could be less) but it's offset to make it more center shot. You can see it in the picture. Arrow pass is upper right. I stole this idea from Marc St Louis
I prefer the lowest brace height that I can get away with.  I re-braced a bow after 300 shots and it broke,  I went like 1 1/4" over brace.  It broke after 20 sots.  I heard a tick then on the next pull the limb simply collapsed. 
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:51:50 pm »
Very nice bow DC. That’s is some impressive splicing work.
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 02:05:10 pm »
congrats, ,thanks for the photos

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:43 pm »
wait. what do you mean you heard a little noise when drawing?

Just that. A little crackle. Thought I would mention it because it lifted a splinter when I was tillering. 100 shots since then. Quiet as a mouse.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 04:04:32 pm »
Quite impressive workmanship DC.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 05:27:18 pm »
Don, I love it! I read through some of the thread about it but couldn't think of anything worthwhile to add.  :NN

So glad it turned out as awesome as it did. Very unique. It says a lot about what a forward thinking bowyer you are.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:49 pm »
Don, I love it! I read through some of the thread about it but couldn't think of anything worthwhile to add.  :NN

So glad it turned out as awesome as it did. Very unique. It says a lot about what a forward thinking bowyer you are.

Nahh, I just wrote down all the words to describe a bow, eliminated some redundancy and built what was left. I originally had "sinewed" in there but I'll save that for good. ;D ;D ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 06:44:38 pm »
Well, you can't stop me from admiring the way you think about bow making. So there!  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline simk

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 01:09:53 am »
The building-thread was very interesting - thanks for the show!
The bow turned out great - beautiful job! Take care, it's an infectious design  ;D
I seems to have a bit of negative tiller now.
... 8)
Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 07:44:40 am »
Finish work tuned out great :OK.  The finish really makes yew pop.  I forget this was beautiful yew when watching the build.   

You know I like this bow, but if you don't....I really like this bow  :D 
And thanks for taking us along.  I learned a few things with following the build thread, as I'm sure many others did too.  8)

Offline ohma2

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 08:13:04 am »
I agree with Ben DC and i think you are a pioneer in the art of wood bows.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 09:02:47 am »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys, but I really think you're over estimating my abilities. Sleek gave me a awful lot of help with this bow.
  I'm not done with this one yet. It's 5-10 fps slower than my BooYew and I want to know why. After I shoot it in(or maybe sooner) I want to balance the tiller a bit and then I'm going to start lightening the levers. I still think the key to acceleration lightness, the more of that you can add, the better. I think splicing on the levers was a mistake as that leaves a big lump of stuff right in the middle of the limb. Maybe a finger joint might be better than a "V" joint but no joint would be the best.
Thanks again for all the nice comments :D

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 12:11:12 pm »
That stick looks great! You make some really nice bows DC - my hats off!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
Very nice DC. That bow really has a nice bend. It doesn't look stressed at all. Beautiful work and some nice numbers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 01:40:23 pm »
I also like it and it will help me a lot in something similar in ash and in one piece, very flat and wide maybe a bit longer. Thank you for posting pics all the way throug!
Congrats!
B2B