Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

High gear/low gear

<< < (16/19) > >>

DC:

--- Quote from: sleek on April 11, 2019, 12:40:50 pm --- Just because the arrow goes 300 fps it doesnt mean anything if the bow is only putting 50% its energy into it.

--- End quote ---

It does mean something, it means the arrow is going 300 fps and it's going to go farther than a 200 fps arrow no matter how much energy was gained lost or wasted up to the time the arrow left the string.

sleek:

--- Quote from: DC on April 11, 2019, 01:08:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: sleek on April 11, 2019, 12:40:50 pm --- Just because the arrow goes 300 fps it doesnt mean anything if the bow is only putting 50% its energy into it.

--- End quote ---

It does mean something, it means the arrow is going 300 fps and it's going to go farther than a 200 fps arrow no matter how much energy was gained lost or wasted up to the time the arrow left the string.

--- End quote ---

I guess if your only goal is speed no matter how it got there, then you have a solid point. But with how it relates to gearing, to hold a more solid comparrison, keeping draw weight and length the same, you need to work with effeciency.

DC:
Tru nuff ;D

avcase:

--- Quote from: DC on April 11, 2019, 09:10:56 am ---But a bow that shoots a 2 grain arrow at 250 fps will always shoot a 1 grain arrow a little faster. Right?

--- End quote ---

Yes, speed will increase all the way to a dry-fire, similar to what Del’s graph shows, but not all designs do this at the same rate. This is why it is possible for a design that is good at flinging heavy arrows to be bypassed by a lower energy storage bow when shooting lighter arrows.

Del,

Is the graph an extrapolation based on virtual mass?  Virtual mass is also not so constant either.  If you do a lot of testing over a wide range of arrow weights, some designs will show a pretty consistent virtual mass regardless of arrow weight, others show decreasing virtual mass with progressively lighter arrows, and some designs will show the increasing virtual mass with lighter arrows.

sleek:
Last mojam i upped my arrow weight and was shootung further with 13 grain vs 10gpp. It may have been the arrow, idk, but anobody else notice arrows gping further with heavier weight?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version