Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

High gear/low gear

<< < (15/19) > >>

DC:
But a bow that shoots a 2 grain arrow at 250 fps will always shoot a 1 grain arrow a little faster. Right?

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: DC on April 11, 2019, 09:10:56 am ---But a bow that shoots a 2 grain arrow at 250 fps will always shoot a 1 grain arrow a little faster. Right?

--- End quote ---
I got pretty light (about 15 grains  :o ) in this test (see link) and you can see the velocity goes up pretty damn quick as you get really light.
But there will come a point where it is too light to do much good (e.g very little kinetic energy or momentum.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/11/mass-velocity-and-energy.html
Del

DC:
I'm going off on a bit of a tangent but why do we care if the energy drops off as long as the speed is still increasing? It's the speed of the arrow once it leaves the string that's the bottom line isn't? Is there something we can do with the energy information?

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: DC on April 11, 2019, 12:19:10 pm ---I'm going off on a bit of a tangent but why do we care if the energy drops off as long as the speed is still increasing? It's the speed of the arrow once it leaves the string that's the bottom line isn't? Is there something we can do with the energy information?

--- End quote ---
Nope, if it is too light the drag will overpower it's momentum/kinetic energy.
I't the old ping pong ball vs golf ball thing.
Fastest tabletennis ball smash is about 70 mph, but it wouldn't go as far as a golf ball travelling at 70 mph.
Del

sleek:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on April 11, 2019, 12:25:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: DC on April 11, 2019, 12:19:10 pm ---I'm going off on a bit of a tangent but why do we care if the energy drops off as long as the speed is still increasing? It's the speed of the arrow once it leaves the string that's the bottom line isn't? Is there something we can do with the energy information?

--- End quote ---
Nope, if it is too light the drag will overpower it's momentum/kinetic energy.
I't the old ping pong ball vs golf ball thing.
Fastest tabletennis ball smash is about 70 mph, but it wouldn't go as far as a golf ball travelling at 70 mph.
Del

--- End quote ---

That and the point is to get a bow to deliver the most energy into an arrow. Just because the arrow goes 300 fps it doesnt mean anything if the bow is only putting 50% its energy into it. Say, you hit 400 fps, big deal, it took a 400 pound bow to do it. Thats bad effeciency. Now 400 fps with a 40 pounder, now we are talking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version