Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

High gear/low gear

<< < (7/19) > >>

sleek:

--- Quote from: DC on March 28, 2019, 10:48:31 am ---
--- Quote from: sleek on March 28, 2019, 10:29:21 am ---Using that logic, the first part of the bow that moves upon release should be built in a way that has high torque, is good to get weight moving, the last part of the bow to move should be built in such a way that low energy is most effecient at moving an arrow whose weight is being affected by its speed. 

--- End quote ---
We're going to have to disagree on that. I can't see how one part of the bow will start moving before another. That said, I can still see that the energy may be delivered to tha arrow at a varying rate depending on whether the leverage of the limbs(gearing) changes as the limb travels home.

--- End quote ---

I say that because if the resistance of the arrows weight against the tips.

DC:
So you think the weight of the arrow holds the tips back and so the inner limb moves first?

sleek:

--- Quote from: DC on March 28, 2019, 11:07:15 am ---So you think the weight of the arrow holds the tips back and so the inner limb moves first?

--- End quote ---

I think it can, in conjunction with the mass of the limbs. But, the tips could be made to move first...

DC:
If the tips are held back how do the inner limbs know when to move? They can't move until the tips do because that's where the string is holding them from.

sleek:

--- Quote from: DC on March 28, 2019, 11:26:00 am ---If the tips are held back how do the inner limbs know when to move? They can't move until the tips do because that's where the string is holding them from.

--- End quote ---

They move when the ristance to them is less than the force they are pushing with.  Think of an arrow. On release, the entire thing doesn't move at once. The nock moves first, head last, causing the paradox we are so familiar with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version