Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

High gear/low gear

<< < (5/19) > >>

Woodely:

--- Quote from: willie on March 26, 2019, 07:00:49 pm ---
--- Quote ---tell me about the hardware.
--- End quote ---

string stretch seems to be a big part of the discussion at PP

--- End quote ---

Your post quotes quote who is quote.  What hardware.

willie:
woodlely,

"tell me about the hardware"  was DC's request in the opening post. I was just dragging the string factor into the discussion. Some of us visit infrequently, so I apologize if the discussion seems disjointed.

Badger,

from the other discussion at PP, one of Dans goals was to put more energy (aka. acceleration) into the arrow earlier after the release, presumably so that it would not have to have so much delivered to the arrow at once at the end of the powerstroke. Wouldnt this make sense if one were trying to avoid undue flexing of the lighter flight arrows right at release? mabye even having an advantage that would outweigh having  a setup that has the best efficiencys?

Badger:

--- Quote from: willie on March 27, 2019, 07:17:22 pm ---woodlely,

"tell me about the hardware"  was DC's request in the opening post. I was just dragging the string factor into the discussion. Some of us visit infrequently, so I apologize if the discussion seems disjointed.

Badger,

from the other discussion at PP, one of Dans goals was to put more energy (aka. acceleration) into the arrow earlier after the release, presumably so that it would not have to have so much delivered to the arrow at once at the end of the powerstroke. Wouldnt this make sense if one were trying to avoid undue flexing of the lighter flight arrows right at release? mabye even having an advantage that would outweigh having  a setup that has the best efficiencys?

--- End quote ---

Light tips and low string angles do exactly that. The arrow however light needs as much control over the tips as it can get. You can best accomplish this by having as much of the limb as possible already have completed its task, hence the elliptical tiller. I think most of the flex is right at the beginning anyway but don't hold me to that.

willie:
Steve

I have always been a bit unclear about the string angle terminology. To clarify, when one generally reads about 'string angle', are most talking about the angle between the string and the tip?    and at full draw or at brace?

DC:
I've always thought(with nothing other than my gut and looking at FDC's) that a traditional bow gave the big push at the beginning of the power stroke and a compound sorta saved it for the middle/end. I thought this was why compounds were faster and it all made sense in my beady little brain. One of Alans graphs showed that it's the opposite. Trad bows save it for the end. So much for my brain. So, the idea is that we want a huge push at the beginning of the power stroke? Now does time enter into this at all? If we have a high gear bow the limbs are going to have to work a lot harder to get the arrow moving. This is going to slow the power stroke(like trying to start your car it 3rd gear) Does this matter? Do we care how long it takes for the arrow to clear the bow as long as it's going like a bat out of hades when it does?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version