Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

High gear/low gear

<< < (4/19) > >>

PatM:
I think it was Dan Perry.

Woodely:

--- Quote from: sleek on March 26, 2019, 10:25:54 am ---Dc, gearing is why i was saying you want the fades to bend only in the last 3 inches of draw on your bow you just made. Last to bend is first to straighten on release. The inner part of the bow is all torque, and the outter limbs is all horsepower. It takes torque to get a car off the line, it takes HP to get it there quick. So ideally,  on release, you want the limbs to lool like they are doing the wave, starting at the fades and moving toward the tips.  The inner third gets the arrow moving, mid limb is mid range, and outter is top end red line.

--- End quote ---

I think that is right,  because I have videoed myself shooting my bows and played them back, paused them on release.  I notice that the tips are vibrating slightly a few inches before returning to brace height.  It does appear that the tips are the last to stop bending.
Nice to have a camera because I can rest it on the edge of a 2x4, cant do that with a smart phone.  Good way to analyze your form and bow glitches.

willie:

--- Quote ---tell me about the hardware.
--- End quote ---

string stretch seems to be a big part of the discussion at PP

DC:
It seemed like anytime Alan showed a graph with something cool on it he would then introduce string stretch and it would mess everything up. It seems to be the great leveller.

Badger:
   I never cared for the term gearing but I can see where it could apply some. For the most part efficiency is more important when shooting light arrows and high energy storage gets a slight nod when shooting heavier arrows. Practically speaking in most cases the fastest bow with any arrow will usually stay the fastest regardless of arrow weight. When you start getting extremely light or extremely heavy with the arrows this is where you really start to see a difference. Bows that bend more in the inner limbs near the fades will tend to store more energy but also tend to be less efficient because of increased opportunity for limb vibration. I am of the belief that if a bow is tillered so that the bend increases from the fades to the other it will mitigate most of the vibration. I also believe in as short of working limb as you can get away with and still not take set. When you measure the FDC and calculate stored energy and then find the efficiency based on arrow speed I think that cancels out the entire conversation on gearing. Bows with low string angles at brace will generaly store more energy than a bow with higher string angles and the same amount of reflex.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version