Author Topic: Which ring for back on Ash Self Bow  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Piddler

Which ring for back on Ash Self Bow
« on: March 23, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »
Guy's,
I've got a couple beginner questions so bear with me.
I need a little assistance in knowing which ring for the back. As you can see the stave has some bug damage. So should I use the thinner ring just below the damage or skip one and go for the thicker ring. Also, Should the back be the dark ring which I am assuming is spring wood or the lighter wood I am assuming is summer or late wood. Please correct me if I have terminology wrong.
This Wood is Ash. Killed by the beetle. The bow will be an equal limb Pyramid design. Limbs will probably end up about 2" at fade to 1/2" tips when finished. May be a bit wider if possible.

Thanks,
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Which ring for back on Ash Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 03:20:51 am »
If it's me, I would go down to the thick ring in this case.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:52:05 pm »
If you ever are concerned about not being able to pick a ring in the back from bug damage, because the bugs webt deep, just flip the stave over, and chase a belly ring, make that the back, and build the bow inside out. Works fine. Then you tiller away all the bug damage with no worries.

That may not apply here, but its an option just so you know.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments fellas. Ive been kind of planning on skipping the first ring and jumping to the wider one. the damage doesn't pass the first layer as shown (not a very good photo). Gonna learn a lot on this one, have some twist and some bends to steam out. Probably gonna have lots more questions before this is over. Learned a lot from the first one.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"