Author Topic: Removing sap and unwanted rings easy, fast, safe  (Read 1346 times)

Offline cutty

Removing sap and unwanted rings easy, fast, safe
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:18:35 pm »
I sure many know this but this was so fast to get 2 rings above my chosen ring. Draw a line 3/4” above your chosen ring on both sides the full length of the stave. Then use a hand saw and cut down to this line every 4”. For high crowned staves feather off the top. Then take a chisel and just pry up each 4” section, with a hammers help. Then just 2 rings with scrapers and draw knife.
I had my doubts, but this was so fast and I never went below where I wanted to.
Just make sure you marked your chosen ring around the stave.

Offline cutty

Re: Removing sap and unwanted rings easy, fast, safe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:24:33 pm »
I would think Osage and black locust only?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:06 pm »
Sounds feasible for clean, thick ringed wood. Might be a lot riskier with thin ringed stuff.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:14 pm »
This method also works well for stock removal from the belly. Just be certain to always split away from the handle, or you will likely split off your handle. That's experience talking.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:11:53 am »
This method also works well for stock removal from the belly. Just be certain to always split away from the handle, or you will likely split off your handle. That's experience talking.

I can double down on this one!  I have wrecked more than once on this road.  "THIS time I know what I am doing and I am REALLY being careful.....SON OF A....GAAKAAAHHHHHHH!"

I would be very hesitant to use this technique on the  back of a bow. Think about it....you saw down to the edge of the growth ring, but the back of the bow is curved and you have now violated the next ring or rings.  And remember, rings are rarely ever consistently thick.  Every saw kerf is a chance to find a spot where you have thin rings. 

Taking down a stave one ring at a time with a draw knife teaches you how to control your tool, how to finesse a growthring, and best of all it shows you the character of the stave as you get closer and closer to the ring you are going to use as the back of the bow.  Frankly, I can have a stave down to the final growth ring a lot faster with a good drawknife faster than you will futzing around with saws, chisels, and a mallet.  Do it if it works for you, but stop and wonder why it isn't something everyone already does.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:27 am »

I can double down on this one!  I have wrecked more than once on this road.  "THIS time I know what I am doing and I am REALLY being careful.....SON OF A....GAAKAAAHHHHHHH!"

I would be very hesitant to use this technique on the  back of a bow. Think about it....you saw down to the edge of the growth ring, but the back of the bow is curved and you have now violated the next ring or rings.  And remember, rings are rarely ever consistently thick.  Every saw kerf is a chance to find a spot where you have thin rings. 

Taking down a stave one ring at a time with a draw knife teaches you how to control your tool, how to finesse a growthring, and best of all it shows you the character of the stave as you get closer and closer to the ring you are going to use as the back of the bow.  Frankly, I can have a stave down to the final growth ring a lot faster with a good drawknife faster than you will futzing around with saws, chisels, and a mallet.  Do it if it works for you, but stop and wonder why it isn't something everyone already does.

Well said. SON OF A GAAKAAAHHHHHHH Vouldnt have said it better muself.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others