Author Topic: Crab apple?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Crab apple?
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:16:15 am »
How's crab apple for bow staves?  On par with regular apple wood?  I have a tree in my yard,  and it's just a feeding station for wild life.  the outer 4 branches are getting cut off for sure and havent decided if I want to fell the whole tree.

For a second question, it's knobby and knotted and I may not be up to the challenge, how's apple wood if someone were to decrown and back it?

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Crab apple?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:09 am »
If you can get a relatively clear straight piece, it should be good.  I did get a stave length out ou a much smaller tree, but haven't worked it yet.  Getting the bow to come out maybe the challenge.  Billets may be more likely.  When all else fails, it is wonderful for smoking meat and hide, as well as cooking meat!  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:24:19 am »
I really like Crabapple. Never used Apple. We have a native Pacific Crabapple that I use. If you cut it, by the time it's dry your skills/confidence will have improved.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:13 pm »
I've seen some fabulous crab apple bows with lots of character.
 Domestic apples are hardly more than developed Russian crab apples anyway. If handled properly the small limbs and and pins shouldn't be a problem.
 I don't think I've seen a crab apple around here that wasn't twisted, almost corkscrewed. Check the bark carefully to be sure that one ain't.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:40:50 pm »
The trunk appears to twist a little but the branches that are for sure coming off don't look like it.

This tree also sits right around 7500 feet above sea level,  and has endured some pretty dry weather most of the time.  I'm guessing the growth rings will be pretty tight. 

A friend of mine was going to help me graft on some good apple branches but he passed away last month, healthy as an ox and could've out hiked or run any one of us.  So part of me has mixed feelings as to whether or not to cut the whole thing down.   
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 02:14:20 pm »
There's nothing wrong with feeding the wildlife and if you just take a branch or two you have the best of both worlds. I don't know about yours but Pacific Crab's bark shows the twist. I find that studying it doesn't work, you have to glance at it and your first impression will usually be right.