Author Topic: hickory and worms  (Read 1316 times)

gutpile

hickory and worms
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:41:05 am »
I had 3 staves ruined by worms... had removed bark and set in barn, been out there a few years... a buddy got some hickory staves and brought me one.. we removed bark and worms are already eating first ring... can you chase a ring on hickory successfully...any tricks like wetting wood help in seeing ... or is it possible to get by with a small violation say mid limb?... my stave appears OK.. small violation near tip from worm .. gonna recurve it there so it wont bend... then a small violation coming out of fade... I feel ok... but his staves are much worse with worms cutting straight across limb..and he wants heavy poundage... I told him to try and chase it best he can cause the way it is now... its gonna blow.. anybody built a hickory bow with worms that held

Offline ohma2

Re: hickory and worms
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:01 am »
I never had any hickory with a bug problem ,that being said i always sprayed my wood before storing it.if it is pretty bad id back it with more hickory.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
I believe I did but I did not shoot it much. Try to get 1 ring with no work holes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:20:50 pm »
I just pulled out some hickory i have had up for probably 15 years at least, with the bark on. A bunch of them are showing signs of bug damage. I chased a ring on a couple without problem. One day soon I  need to remove all my hickory bark before it gets worse.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:24:44 am »
I lost over a dozen good hickory staves to the little devils. After that, everything gets the bark taken off as soon as possible, especially in warm weather. I will then seal the back to slow moisture loss and prevent checking. Especially with hop hornbeam, that stuff will split itself into fence rails overnight if you don't seal the backs. It is possible to chase rings on hickory, just a task that I don't cherish.

Kyle

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:20:17 am »
just debarking isn't a cure all..I had 3 staves debarked and the post beetles or something got in them.. dang staves were light as a feather... ate up good ... hickory is a royal pain here. in south but when done right and moisture content down below 12% ..... hard to beat and I rate it as good as osage... tough as nails... much lighter in hand than osage too... .. Im gonna roll with mine.. but he is gonna have to try to chase a ring... those worms cut straight across stave so it's critical now... ole boy wants a 100lb bow... lol... if he really wants one that heavy, that back has to be pristine IMO... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 08:37:55 am »
Do you think that draping a big mosquito net over your stack of staves would be effective?

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:44 am »
haha... I highly doubt that... I got osage and cedar and mulberry they haven't even touched but the hickory was definitely on the dinner plate