Author Topic: best bow lengths for optimal performance  (Read 3553 times)

Offline lonbow

best bow lengths for optimal performance
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:25:10 am »
Hi guys

In TBB1 I found a table showing, that bows with a length of 66-67" are the fastest ones. Longer bows tend to be a bit slower accoriding to this table.
However in TBB4, Tim Baker wrote that bows beeing longer then 68" still perform a little bit better.

What is the latest state of knowledge about bow length? Are there any new testings, or did anyone of you do some tests?

Im both interested in the best bow lengths for american flatbows and english longbows.

Greetings and thank you!
lonbow

Offline Badger

Re: best bow lengths for optimal performance
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:28:54 am »
   I seem to get my best results from about 66" to 70".

Offline lonbow

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:35 am »
Thank you, Badger! Your answer applies for american flatbows, right? Or do you also prefer english longbows that short?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:14 am »
I draw 25-26" and prefer 64-66" long bows for my style of shooting which is touch and go. That's ntn. That is for flatbows.
Jawge
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:28:44 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:16:19 am »
I like 62" to 66" for my 26" draw. Flat bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:46:38 am »
Thank you, Badger! Your answer applies for american flatbows, right? Or do you also prefer english longbows that short?

Elbs I have had the best luck at around 72"

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:48 am »
Do you think their is a direct relationship between draw length and bow length? A long draw length will work better with a longer bow and short DL with a shorter bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:24:41 am »
  I think their is a strong relationship. Working limb length has a big effect on performance, the more working limb the more is lost to vibration. Longer limbs store more energy but are less efficient.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:40:36 am »
My draw is 28" and prefer a bow no shorter than 64" - 66" .
I dont like to draw shorter than my 28" draw it affects my anchor point.   If my anchor point is the same all the time @ 28"  which is a fixed variable, then changing that can reduce accuracy.
I dont like pulling a 60" bow or shorter beyond, 27".   My argument is I don't want to shoot a bow pulling only 25-26" because its short in the risk that it may break.

Do you think their is a direct relationship between draw length and bow length? A long draw length will work better with a longer bow and short DL with a shorter bow.

Its kind of silly to be pulling a 68" bow to only 25-26" is it not.  And pulling a short bow to draw lengths beyond 28" places more stress on the wood correct..? After all we are building wood bows here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:50:45 am by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:23 am »
Its kind of silly to be pulling a 68" bow to only 25-26" is it not.  And pulling a short bow to draw lengths beyond 28" places more stress on the wood correct..? After all we are building wood bows here.

That was kinda my point ;)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:15:20 am »

That was kinda my point ;)

Got out of bed on the wrong side this morning..
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:41 am »
Working length is the loop hole here, not just the bows OAL length. A 67-68" bow can be just fine for a 26" draw if the fades are 3-4" long. Long fades can make one super silky shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:56:17 am »
Pearl why is that?

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
There is A LOT more to the question than you are asking. Width, thickness, weight, draw length, wood type, environment, and bow design you want all come to play.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:32 am »
Pearl why is that?

Long fades make a bow more stable and keeps the bed farther away from the grip. That's not to say short fades or a "bending" grip cant be smooth to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.