Author Topic: Planting Osage Seedlings  (Read 3370 times)

Offline ohma2

Re: Planting Osage Seedlings
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:48 am »
Ben i to think they are to close togerher.here in mo.where they are in tight bunches they tend to grow up awile then start crowning out leaving a less desirable length of trunk and spindely limbs whitch takes away from billet wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 11:05:43 am »
Yes, 8' to 10' apart. My bad.  You can leave them in the ground until next year giving them a chance to grow some and establish a good root system.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 12:19:17 pm »
I would move them now before the roots take root and spread out, I would space them at least 10' apart, 12 to 15 would be better.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »
Ok, I'll try and get back out there this weekend and move them.  I thought that sounded kinda close.  I shoulda asked  :(

Well, at least I found out before they grew up. 

Offline M2A

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:37 pm »
Part of the idea of the newer style of high density orchards is to plant at 3-4 ft in row..... the idea is for root competition to slow the growth of the trees along with other mechanical methods. you'll be just fine if you move this year or next spring if you don't have the time soon. Not to complicate but I wonder if you had them at 8-10ft centers then sacrifice the middle ones when they got big enough for a sapling bow 10-15 years or so??  Sorry I'm getting carried away with your time and $ :) Just trying to think logically by compairing apples to...oranges.

Would be interesting if you gave updates from time to time. This fascinates me to the point I was removing seeds from a half rotted fruit today. But then again maybe its too close to work for me lol.
Mike 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:04 am »
Growing bows,,,nice (-S

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:22 am »
I have no experience planting osage trees but from my observations when they are in the open like a cow pasture they grow in to a gnarly bush like tree that is no good for bow wood.  When they have to compete with a canopy they grow taller and straighter.  The best trees I've ever seen and cut are either in a tight row or towards the bottom of a steep forest valley. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 06:43:50 am »
I tried deep woods planting, the saplings never really took off, too much shade I guess. I would prune a portion of your saplings to see if you could cultivate them to your liking. I haven't done this but always wondered how it would work. I have left my seedlings in a pot for a year and culled any that were obviously dog legged and crooked. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:20 am »
I would suggest if you are going to prune your seedlings that you wait until their roots are established so you don't stress them too much. Maybe next spring. Also you can determine better their growth habit so you can make a good judgement about their shape.The best time to prune them is just as the new buds come out in the spring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC