Author Topic: another D/R tiller check and question about the "D"  (Read 3462 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

another D/R tiller check and question about the "D"
« on: March 11, 2019, 05:03:08 pm »
Hi guys,

At this point I'm sure my D/R tiller checks are getting a bit old, so thank you for baring with me.  :D

Aside from wondering what you think of the bend on this one, I'm wondering if I should add more deflex in the handle.

I think I'm getting the reflex where I like it and the gradual bend is coming along, but I'm wondering if deflexing more would help with stability and have any other benefits?

P.S. I know it looks like the outers could bend more, but given the unstrung profile, I think I like how much they're working.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: another D/R tiller check and question about the "D"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »
These R/D bows are a bit of a mystery to me.  I'm working on one myself right now, so take this for what it's worth, but that looks like it's spot on to me.  Sweet looking!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
That tiller job looks hard to do. Wow

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »
I don’t think there are any “rules” regarding the amount of reflex or deflex, or the ratio between them. It’s a personal choice and depends on the characteristics (bending limits) of the wood. As you already know, the “trick” is getting equal strain throughout working portions of the limbs, and achieving a smooth draw and a stable release…just like any other well-tillered bow. In my opinion, your bows prove that you’ve mastered that skill. Good job on this one too.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:58:49 pm »
Instead of being a nice smooth curve like yours, mine are peaked in the handle. All the deflex is in the splice. I use right around 10°. Maybe you could draw in some imaginary lines and figure roughly how yours compares.
Oh, I try and have a couple of inches of reflex. Tips ahead of handle :D so the more deflex there is the more reflex there has to be so you end up with some total reflex. I think the limit comes when the wood just won't hold that bend. Think Wilcox Duoflex :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:08:49 pm by DC »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 06:56:53 pm »
Thanks Bob, they are mysterious indeed and one of the toughest things about them IMHO is what NonBacked mentioned about getting the strain evened out along the limbs. With a straight bow it's much easier to see. Best of luck with yours!

Yep hoosierf, it's tricky.  (W

Your input is much appreciated NB. Thank you.  :)

Don, I hear ya about maintaining tips ahead of the handle. I keep that a high priority, thus the small amount of deflex. This wood is ipe, which seems to do a great job handling the strain, so I'm thinking if I use it again I may splice in a bit more for ease of brace and smoothness of draw.  I guess I should consider making a few different cauls for experimentation/different types of wood/etc. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 07:31:09 pm »
Whatever you do, your bottom is bending too much in the inner relative to the upper limb.  Do the vertical pic and you'll see the greater hump in that section.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:09:10 am »
Thanks PatM! I can see it.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:27:47 am »
What PatM said ;D
I tried quite a few different laminated rd's and I find that more deflex definately feels smoother. I find that adding to much reflex can make them a little unstable at brace and does not always make them faster. I made a few who ended up with no more then 1 inch reflex and they are still extremely fast. I am talking ipe/bamboo bows here. Also did a few deflex static recurves and they are the fastest bows I ever made at 194 fps

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:30:57 am »
What kind of wood are you using Jeff?  Is that a lighter color ipe? 

I agree more deflex will make your bow smoother to draw, but I'm not sure it will do anything for performance.  I think the reason this bow and the last few you've posted are fast is because there's very little working limb, and not a lot of set.  Of course this requires very good tillering and proper wood selection, and you seem to have figured that out.   :)
Like DC mentions, the more you deflex the more you'll have to reflex to get the same amount of total reflex.  So the relief you get from the deflex is almost negated by the extra amount of reflex you add.  It's all about finding the balance that works within your design and materials.
I personally love the way deflexed bows draw and shoot.  I will continue to make R/D's for that reason alone.   

It's almost time that you start teaching us how it's done with this style. 

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:03 am »
Whatever you do, your bottom is bending too much in the inner relative to the upper limb.  Do the vertical pic and you'll see the greater hump in that section.

I'm having a hard time seeing that bend in the inner . ???
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:10 am »
You did a good job getting that curved area to bend properly without going too far.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:18:28 am »
This makes it look like the upper inner(just out of the fade) is bending too much I think.

Oh, maybe not.
Nevermind, but to me it looks like it's bending too much lower midlimb

And that, gentlemen, is how my mind works ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:27:25 am by DC »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:11:04 am »
I think it looks just fine. That being said, BOM winners aren't allowed to ask questions anymore :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:56:21 am »
I agree with Pearl..but that being said what would we talk about if something wasnt always out of tiller,, :NN