Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Dane

I'm back
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:37 pm »
Hey everyone. In case any of you were wondering, I sort of seemed to drop of the planet. Got really busy, and had to attend my dad's funeral last month out in Los Angeles, but I'm back now - missed the PA boards.

Later I'll continue on the manuballista thread I started a while back, and I have two new arrow throwing machines I've started, another 1.25" small scorpio, and a larger 2" machine (meaning the diameter of the sinew or horsehair springs that give the machines thier power). Like bows, ancient artillary is addictive stuff, and takes a different set of sklls, but the point is the same - to fling arrows downrange. In this case, of course, you are dealing with 500 to 1500 or more pounds of force! :)

I'm documenting every step carefully this time, and should have a comprehensive set of instructions when I am done, that one can use as a point of departure to make any sized arrow throwing machines they want. Safety is the most critical factor as you craft each component, as a catastrophic failure can result in death or dismemberment.

Oh, do have a few bow projects in various stages of completion. You can never give this stuff up once the bug bites you.

Dana, thanks for your concern and checking on me a few weeks back.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Badger

Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:32:22 pm »
Dane, very sorry to hear about your father. I wished I would have known you were comming to L.A. Maybe next time if circumstances are better you can join our pasdena bow making group for the day and meet some of your fellow bowyers. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:38:10 pm »
Glad to see ya back Dane, Losing a parent is one tough gig, been through it twice :'(
Looking forward to more of yer machines tell Davenport he needs to crack da whip and get ya
back to the workshop ;) You still have that Yooper maple eh???
Dane you have my sincerest condolances on the loss of your father, if their is anything we or I can do just say the word brother.

Now give Davenport a belly rub and Scooby snack eh ;D Welcome Home eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:46:54 pm »
Good to see you back, wondered where you'd gotten to. Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine a couple years ago and it still doesn't seem possible that he's gone.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:13 pm »
Dane, sorry to hear about you father's death. Glad to have you back. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »
Glad you are back brother, so sorry to hear about your dad heading to the other side... glad yoy are back ...Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:32 pm »
sorry to hear of your father's crossing, but im sure he lived a good life, and good to see ya back sir.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:12:32 am »
Glad your back,sorry about your loss,been there and it ant easy.Then you just have to
move on.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:54:04 am »
Thanks, you guys. I am overwhelmed by your words. He did live a good life, and was buried with full military honors at Riverside National Cemetary, a retired Commander in the US Navy. We donated the American flag back to the cemetary to fly on Veterans and Memorial Day, and think he would have approved of that.

Badger, it did cross my mind about the Pasadena meet, but I just couldn't pull it off. I will be going out to LA at least once a year to see my mom, and will try to time it for a meet. She lives in Alhambra, and a few of my favorite things to do out there are hike in the lower San Gabrial range, around Mt. Lowe and Mt. Wilson mostly, Twoees (greatest hot fudge sundaes ever!), and Vormans bookstore. I didn't grow up in the Pasadena area, but in North Hollywood / Studio City.

Dana, Davenport came out with us, and it was good having her during the stay. She flew in the cabin with us, and got to ride in a taxi for the first time from LAX to mom's house.

Dane

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:17 am »
Very sorry to hear of your loss Dane. Both my parents have passed away...my mother's passing was two years ago this month.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:33 pm »
Greg, thank you, and my condolences on the loss of you parents.

Dane

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 11:21:43 pm »
Welcome back Dane - sorry to hear about your dad also, I know it must be hard.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
Also, Welcome Back, Dane.
We do miss our parents. Mine are gone.
I loved to show my bows to my parents and my Mom thought "they were dangerous."  Well, they are! >:D
I think my Dad forgot the damage to his garage door when I missed the target when I was in high school.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday