Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Ocean Spray flight arrows?

<< < (2/5) > >>

willie:
so would a pith that could be reamed out yield a hollow arrow? strength with a little less weight?

Sagebrush:
The pithy core in the shafts is between 1/32 and 1/8 of an inch.  I was shocked that I could get a 12 inch drill bit started. I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off without the infamous O.S. drying cracks. We shall see...

DC:

--- Quote from: willie on March 04, 2019, 05:05:44 pm ---so would a pith that could be reamed out yield a hollow arrow? strength with a little less weight?

--- End quote ---

I've been thinking about strength with a little less weight. Is light and stiff the objective? If so why do the flight guys use dense wood? Is it the smaller diameter for the same thickness? Is a tube always stiffer than a solid rod of the same weight? I made a 24" 1/8" dia drill bit and tried to drill out the OS pith. No joy. It kept coming through the side no matter how straight the OS was. I think the nodes were steering the drill bit. The pith would be substantially lighter than the wood, I think, so maybe there's not much to be gained by drilling them. First year OS have a bigger pith so there might be  something there to think about. Not sure about the quality of first year wood though.

DC:

--- Quote from: Woodely on March 04, 2019, 12:47:18 pm ---I cut some OS a couple years ago and was not fond of the pith.  Needless to say I dont think I'll use OS for shafts.  Not sure what you guys think.

--- End quote ---
What didn't you like about the pith?

Ed Brooks:
I’ve found the younger shoots seem to have more pith, some of the older small diameter shafts seem to have less pith & more wood. I’m also wondering the way OS likes heat in bow form, would heat help stiffen the arrow shafts as well? Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version