Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Ocean Spray flight arrows?

<< < (3/5) > >>

willie:
don
Is a tube always stiffer than a solid rod of the same weight?

weight for weight, yes because it will be a slightly larger diameter, where it counts more for stiffness

the question is whether for 2 same stiffness arrows, will the slightly larger dia arrow be better for for being a bit lighter?

I have reamed bamboo with a a few applications of a red hot wire, something softer might be able to follow the pith better

Sagebrush:
I was going to do some testing... but the pith weighs nothing so it is effectively hollow as is.  I was also going to try to make some solid shafts from larger branches that I've dried. In 90 meter shooting for FITA small dense arrows maintained downrange velocity and were less affected by wind. I.E. an ACE/x10 versus a larger diameter aluminium. This was my thought process at least.

avcase:

--- Quote from: willie on March 06, 2019, 06:12:33 pm ---don
Is a tube always stiffer than a solid rod of the same weight?

weight for weight, yes because it will be a slightly larger diameter, where it counts more for stiffness

the question is whether for 2 same stiffness arrows, will the slightly larger dia arrow be better for for being a bit lighter?

I have reamed bamboo with a a few applications of a red hot wire, something softer might be able to follow the pith better

--- End quote ---

First priority is getting the right arrow stiffness so it is tuned to the bow. Larger diameter is worse due to higher drag, but lower mass gives higher speed to fight gravity.  These compromises are what keeps it interesting. If the draw weight of the bow is high and the arrow can be short, then it is usually better to go with a higher density arrow shaft material.

DC:

--- Quote from: avcase on March 08, 2019, 05:34:00 am ---First priority is getting the right arrow stiffness so it is tuned to the bow.

--- End quote ---

I was getting the impression that you could get a little liberal with the spine in flight arrows. Now I'm thinking that the only reason you can go to a lighter spine is because you have little or no tip weight. Am I right?

Woodely:

--- Quote from: DC on March 06, 2019, 11:56:53 am ---
--- Quote from: Woodely on March 04, 2019, 12:47:18 pm ---I cut some OS a couple years ago and was not fond of the pith.  Needless to say I dont think I'll use OS for shafts.  Not sure what you guys think.

--- End quote ---
What didn't you like about the pith?

--- End quote ---
I dont trust a soft core it can collapse if attaching points and and making nocks.  Been thar dun that....!      I'm happy with true doweling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version