Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Ocean Spray flight arrows?

(1/5) > >>

Sagebrush:
Hello all, Long time follower but first time posting a thread.

Last year I was having lunch in a small burger joint and I looked on the wall to find all of these world record flight shooting Awards and bows. When I asked about them a very nice older gentleman came out from behind the counter and talked with me for a bit. He didn't seem interested in primitive bow making but he loved glass and Flight shooting. This began my dalliance with flight shooting.  I didn't understand until recently that Larry Hatfield was a legend. Small world I guess.

After three decades of shooting I am now back where I started: flinging arrows into the sky.  My question to you all is about arrows.  I have a good deal of ocean spray and it seems that it is dense, sinks in water, is near unbreakable and would be a good candidate. I could build cedar, osier, and pine. I am beginning to build 23 to 25 inch primitive class flight arrows. Any experiment directing thoughts???

Thank you all for your thoughts and direction over the years.

Badger:
  I think ocean spray would be an excellent candidate for flight arrows. Stiffness is a major issue once you get down to small diameters. I believe ocean spray is very stiff. If you can come up with one about 1/4" diameter and around 250 grains or less that is still stiff enough you should be good to go.

Sagebrush:
Thanks! I will get started and post some updates when my field has less than 27 inches of snow. I appreciate the help. Oh one more thought... I heat treat my ocean spray bows, should I do the same for the arrows? Thanks again.

D

Ed Brooks:
I like my OS and and have been thinking the same thing about some of the smaller diameter shafts. Let us know how they do. Good Luck! Ed

Woodely:
I cut some OS a couple years ago and was not fond of the pith.  Needless to say I dont think I'll use OS for shafts.  Not sure what you guys think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version