Author Topic: Mary Rose Longbows  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Woodely

Mary Rose Longbows
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:00 pm »
I read an article about the Mary Rose artifacts. It states that English Yew bows found had up to 152 growth rings per inch. The typical yew from Oregon is about 50 rings per inch. It also states that the Yew was from Spain, Italy and other countries with cooler climates and slower growing trees.  This fact does not make sense, these other countries would not be cooler than England. And secondly wetter and cooler climates produce wood that matures faster having less growth rings, hence (Oregon Yew). Trees from a hotter drier climate produce wood that is denser and having more growth rings per inch. Maybe someone can clarify me on this if its correct or not.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Mary Rose Longbows
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 01:03:14 pm »
I believe the tree were high elevation Yew
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:18:09 pm »
It's the altitude and soil that impacts it as well.  Plus a  likely shorter growing season at high altitude.

FWIW you can end up with exceptionally fine rings in areas where the wood   shouldn't be like that and vice versa.

Oregon has a lot of variety in its climate and elevation as well.   

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:27:44 pm »
The Mary Rose bows don't have 150 rings.  I've handled them, they're on par with good American yew.  50 to 80 is about right.  Some were actually far coarser than that.

Also, there are plenty of countries that get much, much colder than us here in the UK, and once you get into the Alps where the really dense Austrian yew grows it's even colder.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 03:17:05 pm »
"Up to"  Implying that was perhaps  the high count, not the norm.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/16/4c/23/164c2326f0ff36e17ef6a0c927db090e.jpg

Offline helmet

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
There was a second, where I thought I was looking at a fingerprint. :)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:52:04 pm »
It's the altitude and soil that impacts it as well.  Plus a  likely shorter growing season at high altitude.

FWIW you can end up with exceptionally fine rings in areas where the wood   shouldn't be like that and vice versa.

Oregon has a lot of variety in its climate and elevation as well.
Even still I think you would be hard pressed to find Yew with over 60-70 rings per inch in Oregon. Elevation does enter the equation when it comes to wood density, never entered my mind.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:15:57 pm »
I’m not too familiar with the Mary Rose, but I have worked with Pacific Yew staves from both the trunk and branches; I have found that some branches have VERY tight growth rings. Maybe some are branches? Thoughts?
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 09:29:23 pm »
I like Yew branches but I've found that some are really good but some seem kind of mushy, no spring to them. I'm wondering if it's has to do with the amount of sapwood compared to heartwood because on some you end up with sapwood almost completely surrounding the limb. That said, I would never turn down a decent limb. ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 12:37:36 am »
Don't worry about ring count...
I made a 100# warbow from fast grown lowland Yew which had 3 rings per inch in some places :o and was generally about 5 or 6!
I've had a guy showing off the fine rings on his high altitude Italian Yew stave, and I've picked up a scrap of Low altitude English Yew from my off cut pile and showed him it was finer!
Treat each bit of wood on it's own merits.
IMO we (UK) probably imported Yew because of availability rather than quality. If you can get an Italian wine producer to include a bunch of staves as a tax on his produce you'll do it won't you? And will that Italian wine importer spend ages searching for the best staves? No, he'll probably send his youngest son to get whatever he can... and why is it high altitude? Maybe 'cos all the fertile lowland is used for farming?
The paragraph above is just guesswork, but it is there to counter some of the myths and dodgy conclusions that "historians" jump to.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 11:17:58 am »
Del,

I'm sure quality of yew varies/varied considerably within regions and it would be very hard to compare different regions to each other with any definitive certainty. I agree and doubt medieval/early modern bowyers cared much at all about growth rings per inch instead of the overall suitability of yew staves. I would be interested to know your (or anyone's) thoughts concerning what's said in this source:

From The Art of Archery, c. 1515, anonymous (I like this source so much better than Toxiphilus, which is long-winded , specifically mentions Portuguese and Italian (Alpine)yew and contrasts them:

"First of all, bows can be made of any wood, but the best are of yew. Respecting this, Petrus de Crescens says, that yew is only useful for making bows and crossbows, and that there are two sorts of it, the white and the red. The white is called Portuguese yew, and it is usually soft and of open grain. And the more open the grain of a wood is, the softer it naturally is. On the other hand the redder yew is called Italian yew. This is found of straighter grain than any other, and has a sharper cast, and there is no comparison in the time it retains its strength. However, it is harder to work, and to string at first, and breaks more easily than the white Portuguese yew..." 

One could interpret this statement in a lot of different ways.  It doesn't necessarily mean that imported yew from the regions of Portugal or Italy was significantly better than local English yew sources.  But it's interesting to note that these are the author's classification for yew in general (he doesn't even mention English yew or any other kinds), indicating at least a great deal of it was imported from these regions and that they were considered distinct from each other and had pros and cons.  My thought is either the quality of yew from these regions was better in quality than English grown yew (as is commonly thought), OR as you said, the quantity of yew then grown in these regions was Much greater than any found native to England at that time (a lot has been planted since then).

(note: this thread might be better placed in the English Warbow thread)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:01:37 pm by Ringeck85 »
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:42:12 am »

One could interpret this in a lot of different ways, and doesn't necessarily mean that imported woods literally from Portugal or Italy (neither of which really existed as countries back then)

Huh?

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 01:08:53 pm »
Ok that was somewhat clumsily written.

Edited and clarified: "One could interpret this statement in a lot of different ways.  It doesn't necessarily mean that imported yew from the regions of (what is now) Portugal or Italy was significantly better than local English yew sources."

note: Portugal, definitely a kingdom/empire for a long time (1100s to 1900s), though which family had control of it varied; there was a long stretch were it was ruled by the same rulers of the rest of Iberia.  Italy my point about it not being a country back then stands.  It wasn't unified until the mid-late 1800s.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 06:19:17 pm »
don't know if yew is like other conifers I have tested, but a close ring count can occur for a number of reasons.
slow growth can be caused by shading from the overstory and by poor health/overmaturity of the tree.

some fine ringed woods within the same species I have tested is much weaker than others, and I suspect came from a less healthy tree, than from one that might be simply shaded, but in otherwise good health.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 12:19:14 am »
don't know if yew is like other conifers I have tested, but a close ring count can occur for a number of reasons.
slow growth can be caused by shading from the overstory and by poor health/overmaturity of the tree.

some fine ringed woods within the same species I have tested is much weaker than others, and I suspect came from a less healthy tree, than from one that might be simply shaded, but in otherwise good health.
Bravo!
Yup, exactly!
That's what I've been banging on about for the last umpteen years  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.