Author Topic: My Latest Longbows  (Read 2432 times)

Offline barebo

My Latest Longbows
« on: February 23, 2019, 02:55:28 pm »
Haven't posted in a while so here we go! I retired Jan. 18th and made these 3 so far. They are all Hickory with one bamboo backed. I can't call the rounded belly a true ELB as it has an antler tip rest and may not be exactly following the 5/8 ratio. Basically, I make sort of hybrids and simply bows that I like to shoot. 72" NTN and 47# each for the 2 unbacked bows.

The bamboo backed bow came in at an even 45# at my 27" draw. it's 68" NTN. I knew it would have a bit of follow as the bamboo was very deflexed and I added no reflex at glue up. It is a really nice shooting bow with plenty of zip given the unstrung profile. I used osage and deer antler for the tip overlays. The handle is red oak, wenge, and zebrawood. I tried something different with this one for the heck of it. I used a piece of Ipe for a lam between the bamboo and hickory core. Tru oil finish with no stain. Twisted up a fast flight string.The strike plate is mother of pearl.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:00:47 pm by barebo »

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: My Latest Longbows
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 04:21:20 pm »
Those look really nice. Love to see some FDs if you get the chance.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:30:59 pm »
Ditto!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 05:15:22 am »
They look great, nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline barebo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:10:24 am »
I had my lovely wife snap a quick pic. The arrow is 29" and I getting most of it here. Upon seeing this I realize that the upper 1/3 of the top limb needed a few more strokes of the draw knife.
Funny thing is that when it was on the tiller tree and I was drawing it (pulley and rope) it looked pretty balanced. I don't use a "Gizmo". Maybe I should?!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:14:49 am »
A static draw on a tiller tree usually doesn't give an accurate depiction of full draw. In your hand, the way a bow is drawn does.
 Nice work on your bows. Can we see FD on the other 2 also?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline barebo

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 12:21:27 pm »
That's a point well taken Pat - usually I stand in front of a large mirror we have and flip the bow - top limb on bottom etc. This one for some reason didn't get the look.

Seems like my bows usually get an elliptical or somewhat close to it tiller. I usually don't get a lot of bend out of the fades which may be a flaw?

I'll see if I can get the other 2 drawn.

Offline barebo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:18:04 pm »
Here's one - lucky to get it as the batteries died in the darn camera and the weather turned nasty!

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:03:40 am »
afraid you might lose that handle on the one bow... need more fade off core wood... your handle is the fade... gut

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:15 am »
Your tiller looks nice, but may be unbalanced a tad. The lowers seem a bit stronger and its forcing the upper away from you. 1-2# of draw weight can fix that, if you are so inclined to mess with them. Sometimes that little bit of adjustment can make a bow feel totally different, shoot better and quiet right down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline barebo

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
Gut - that's a good point and I realized after I had it glued up that I should have made a riser piece at least as long as the tapered lam. I've shot close to 100 arrows and it's still holding so we'll see?

Pearl - you pointed out something I noticed as soon as I loaded the pic. I heat treated both limbs but likely shaved most of out of the top limb when I tillered it. I think you're 100% right about the top limb pushing forward.

Appreciate the input - that's how we learn!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:45:00 am »
Great input from some of the best bowyers. You've obviously got a good eye for tillering. From there it's just a matter of honing your skills (IMHO).  :BB
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline barebo

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:45:45 pm »
Jeff, this site is priceless for bowyer's knowledge! I am frequently in awe of the talent displayed here. I get impatient and want to get a string on and start flinging arrows! As you said, I need to slow down and refine / hone my tillering some. I've made some that were spot on but should strive for that with every one I guess.

Pic of the abalone strike plate on one of the recent ones. I used a dremel to shape it and it smells just like antler - BAD!

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 03:52:47 pm »
Apparently abalone shell dust is dangerous to breath. Do a Google search on "breathing abalone shell dust"

Offline barebo

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 01:16:57 am »
I use a NIOSH mask when cutting / sanding Ipe, antler, abalone, bamboo, etc. Never smoked and want to keep my lungs healthy.

I got the mother of pearl and abalone from a luthier (guitar builder) and they use it frequently for inlays. I'm going to do the Google search for sure! Thanks for the info DC.