Author Topic: unbalanced Osage Bow  (Read 4166 times)

Offline hoosierf

Re: unbalanced Osage Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:47 am »
I’d consider coaxing just a bit more bend out of the left outer third. Not much. Love these kinds of bows. Well done.

Now as I look at it again, maybe just a tiny bit mid limb on the left and call it good.  The outer third will probably come around for you you’ve got just a bit more circular bend on the right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:14:28 am by hoosierf »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 01:18:28 pm »
I think you did a fine job with the corections you made.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 01:22:52 pm »
Artus -
66” 35@28…Shoot It! With those specs, there’s nothing that will hurt a sinew backed Osage bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 02:02:11 pm »
Can you feel if one limb is stronger when you draw it by hand? 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 05:00:17 pm »
I agree if it shoots well,..and your happy,..call it good..if u wanted. More weight,.,that is possible a s well...

Offline Artus

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 01:52:50 pm »
Thank you all for the complements!
I did a few shots in the garden and it works very nicely. The draw is very smooth and feels quite balanced and there is no handshock at all. It shoots very precisely and fast even though it´s rather light in draw weight. It´s exactly what I was looking for, a easy to shoot and reliable bow for practicing aka for times when I´m not so well practiced.
There is just one thing that concerns me a bit. Now the weather is cold and the air dry. I´m afraid the bow looses some weight in humid summer weather, that causes the sinew to relax a bit. So I really take adding another layer of sinew in consideration. I will think about it, there is no hurry. Meanwhile I make the overlays, also give the finish a thought and work a little more on my ash Holmegaard and the R/D elderflower. In other words, I´m gonna put it away for a few weeks.

@Don: I will make a proper presentation when the finish is done and put it in to the vote for the bom. Thank you for your encouragement!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »
sounds like a good plan,, thats the thing about bows,, sometimes you have alot of options to consider,, and it takes a bit of thinking,,im sure it will work out great,,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:34:54 am »
Bowned,
The good old days when most of the winter was taken up with making bows....just to make them.
Artus,
You have a challenging stave there. The limb entry points into the handle are different which makes judging tiller hard. You have to tell if the tiller is even by short drawing like Pat said.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!