Author Topic: Grain runout  (Read 3723 times)

Offline DC

Grain runout
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »
I have a stave that has about 1" of sideways bend. When I was laying out the bow it occurred to me that I could avoid steam bending it if I took all the wood off one side. It goes against my grain ;) ;) to do it but is there actually a problem with having all the grain runouts on one side of the bow?

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: Grain runout
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:01:42 pm »
Good question.  I have wondered about that too.  If it's in a none working part of the tip, I don't see it being a problem. 

I always wonder about a true pyramid selfbow.  Grain run out on both sides.....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:04:54 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:07:21 pm »
That's a no-no regardless of what part of the limb it is in. Even if it doesn't bend, it hold weight, its a lever.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:09:39 pm »
We taper the tips anyway but If it were more than 6" or so I would straighten it. . 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:40 pm »
I'm steaming it as we speak but I was curious. The picture kind of distorts things but the bulk of the one sided run out would be in the last foot of the limb. No matter where I put the tip the number of runouts would remain the same. The only thing that would change would be the angle of the runout. At least that's the only thing I can think of.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:25:40 pm »
I do it every time. Not a single failure yet, at least, not from that. Tapering a limb cut fibers on both sides, but without causing breakage. So now, instead of cutting fibers on both sides, you are only cutting them on one side. The ONLY non cut continuous fibers on a bow are as wide as your nock between the notches you cut. Its more important that the fibers be smoothly faded, and not an abrupt cut than anything else.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:18 pm »
A wide pyramid bow steps across the grain the entire length of the limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:45:25 pm »
I would just straighten it,, but I am used to doing that,,

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:44 pm »
Maybe if a person was planning to recurve the bow, cutting all the taper on one side would eliminate the need to reheat a section in order to recurve the bow. I was just posting on Bubbles "Should I remove the twist or not" so it got me thinking about having to reheat sections and all the problems that can entail. If I straightened this with steam and then decided to recurve it I may be reheating a section and the crook may try and come back. If I had cut on the red line I should be able to recurve it with no problems.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 03:29:05 pm »
The degree of run out is the main concern. 90 degrees is an obvious break waiting to happen. The degree is still in line with the limb on your tapers so it poses no problem. When it runs across the limb, your asking for trouble.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 03:35:14 pm »
DC,, you could be right about that,, but I feel a bit nervous about it,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »
DC,, you could be right about that,, but I feel a bit nervous about it,,

I have been doing it like that for years without problems.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 05:30:51 pm »
  I do that routinely in the last 10" or so. I don't think it would give you trouble but there is some risk involved especially if you have some swirls in the grain in that area that might increase the angle some.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:01 am »
I think the grain swirl thing is what makes me hesitant,, I had a bow like that,, at the tips too,, i put a wrap on it there where the run out was,, it was lifting a splinter,, well in an effort to make the bow better I decieded to make the tips more narrow,, I took the wrap off and made the tip more narrow,, I was gonna put the wrap back on, but decided to pull it to half draw,, because im not that smart sometimes,, the bow exploded,,,, hmmmm

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 01:35:38 pm »
My first question is the type of wood, unless I missed it.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.