Author Topic: bow-simulator  (Read 8174 times)

Offline avcase

Re: bow-simulator
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 01:09:10 pm »
I read some guy was winning flight shoots using something like that, but for arrows,, (--)

I use these kinds of tools for designing flight bows and arrows, but I don’t recall winning much!  Hahaha!

I rarely find time to make more than a few bows per year, and I almost never make the same design twice so I need to try my best to get it as close to right the first time. This is where these tools have helped. 

Alan

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »
Alan, did you notice the screen shot for the app that shows string energy fluctuations?

Code: [Select]
http://bow-simulator.org/images/screenshot_05.png

(the graph looks nice, I would like to peek at the underlying maths)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:09:45 pm by willie »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »
I think I read it on the flight bow section...if I remember better I will message u

Offline avcase

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 06:03:15 pm »
I think I read it on the flight bow section...if I remember better I will message u

I hadn’t noticed this plot but that is an incredible way to show what happens to the energy stored in the bow, from the time the string is released, through the time the arrow leaves the string.  When I was finally able to visualize and understand this energy dance, it completely changed the way I look at how a bow works.

This single graph gives an enormous amount of information about this particular bow design, how it works, and how to make it work better.  It would be next to impossible to get this feedback on a bow design any other way. I give this a big thumbs up!

Alan

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:28 pm »
So I take it you guys got this software to run?

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 06:54:58 pm »
I mean, if you already know what’s gonna happen, doesn’t that take the fun out of it?

I guess it depends on the person. For me, it allows me to focus on the bow design aspects that I know will help me achieve my goal. I wrote a similar program and it yielded some pretty useful discoveries about how bows work and how to make them work better. I see it as being no different than an interactive version of a book on bow design. ;)

Alan
This. It’s a different world now. These days people can watch enough YouTube or go to message boards along with practice and gain as much knowledge as people who have been doing it all their lives. 20 years ago if you wanted to learn a craft you had to find someone to teach you. Especially if it is something like bow building that isn’t practiced everywhere. You still need good ole hands on trial and error but you don’t have to wait 2 weeks until you and your buddy can carve out time away from work and family in order to share knowledge.
Give me a YouTube video and a couple of deer to practice on and I can do a triple bypass in a month.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 07:06:00 pm »
This. It’s a different world now.

CC, I think you are right, there are young guys here that have never known a time there was not a computer around. as ubiquitous as jackknife was to a lot of the older guys on here, I guess it could be just another tool in the box for most.

so I brought the simulator up in the appimage version, but am not sure it has full functionality.

does anybody have it working? right now I am still Reading TFM.

Offline lleroy

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 02:03:48 pm »
so I brought the simulator up in the appimage version, but am not sure it has full functionality.

does anybody have it working? right now I am still Reading TFM.

I have it working on Windows and on Linux
(I even have compiled the in-development version :-) since It's open-source )

I attached a few attempts to simulate self-bow designs I'm interested in...

btw: those buttons on the right-bottom 3D view don't do anything (yet)
(but I noticed that's fixed in the in-development version)

just go for the green arrow on the toolbar
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:42:03 pm by lleroy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 05:08:10 am »
Yep, different world for sure. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 05:04:28 pm »
I had a chance to play around with the bow simulator this past weekend and I think it is quite useful.

you can "draw" out your bow in length, width and thickness in a quick sketch or in minute detail. input deflex, reflex and recurve. there is even a feature to design a composite or laminate of differing materials. one part many might find useful is the static simulation feature. By moving a slider the designer can see what his bow should look like at any point along the draw curve.

Recently there was a thread discussing how one should be able to see the limb bendshape develop as the bow is tillered out longer. I think it was a deflex/working reflex that the bowyer thought should have the limbs go straight at some point in the draw. this application could help visualize

one can design and evaluate before building or input an already glued up laminate or pre-bent stave to see how it should bend.

a dynamic simulation feature seems exciting, as it indicates in a graphical chart where the energy is stored and released when the bow is shot. limbs, arrow and string are all part of the outputs.

Hopefully, the project will find a home in more than a few toolboxes.

lleroy, I will have to look over those .bow files.  it seems that my old distrubution had trouble with the appimage, but an update got it working well.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 06:31:06 pm »
I have tried a bunch of times to load this. I even got my grandaughter to try it on her computer. It works for her. She's very good with computers and she couldn't figure out why it won't work on mine. I get these error mesg. Anyone got a clue what's happening

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 06:47:37 pm »
not really a windows guy, but are you trying to run a 64 bit application on a 32 bit machine?

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:43 am »
I was thinking the same thing Willie.  Did you try the other download link DC?

This program is pretty awesome.  The user-manual is easy to understand.  Thanks for putting this together lleroy. 

I have one request and I hope it can be done without much trouble.....English units??  Sorry I haven't worked in metric in over 10 years and it's taking me a while to convert each value. 

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:00 am »
Yes I tried both. Got the same results. I'm just hoping lleroy has run across this before.

Offline lleroy

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 12:53:59 pm »
Thanks for putting this together lleroy. 

I have one request and I hope it can be done without much trouble.....English units??  Sorry I haven't worked in metric in over 10 years and it's taking me a while to convert each value.

I'm not the author of this program... I just posted the link.  :)