Author Topic: bow-simulator  (Read 8176 times)

Offline lleroy

bow-simulator
« on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:23 pm »
Anyone given this a spin yet?
http://bow-simulator.org/

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow-simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
I'd rather shoot bows and arrows than read about shooting them. I guess someone will be more enthusiastic than me about this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:30:17 pm »
its probably a great tool,,
I am old, and just like to make them,,I think I am a bit lazy too,,
so I just scrape with a wrasp and hope for the best,,, :NN

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:41:50 pm »
It's probably a good program but how usefull it is I don't know, I know guys that have used limb thickness & taper calculators & in the end most of them got it wrong , I don't think there is any substitute for good old fashion making the bows & perfecting the design most designs you can get a good concept of where to start with out soft ware , maybe I'm old fashion to ,I like doing all the R&D myself ! There are so many variables in making bows I don't think any soft ware could calculate it right on the first go , what's next where going to use computers to talk about primitive bows  ::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:05:37 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:25 pm »
I couldn't get it to load, but that has been a while back before some bugs were fixed. I use david deweys spreadsheet to rough out designs then  finish by eye

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 11:48:26 pm »
Not smart enough to work it but I have been thinking about the use with glass bows. I think in the end building different designs with different types of materials will win out.. this is in the glass world. In the all wood world I have been moving mass around in the limbs for some years. Sometimes you just have to get lucky. To many variables with wood. But thinking out side the box got us the first bow thousands of years ago. Just saying.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 02:46:35 am »
I mean, if you already know what’s gonna happen, doesn’t that take the fun out of it?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:51 am »
I work on a computer all day for my job.  The last thing I want to do is bring a computer into the mix of my shop time.  I think what I like so much about this hobby is taking an imperfect piece of wood and figuring out how to get a bow out of it. I like to use just the software between my ears for this.  It does fail me sometimes but that is part of the fun.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 08:06:56 am »
I'd find it interesting if I could find a switch to take it out of metric mode...
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline avcase

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:52 am »
I mean, if you already know what’s gonna happen, doesn’t that take the fun out of it?

I guess it depends on the person. For me, it allows me to focus on the bow design aspects that I know will help me achieve my goal. I wrote a similar program and it yielded some pretty useful discoveries about how bows work and how to make them work better. I see it as being no different than an interactive version of a book on bow design. ;)

Alan

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 12:06:31 pm »
I rather ask you guys,, see I think I am lazy,, :NN

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »
I tried this out when you 1st put it out, maybe a year ago?  I can't remember what the issue was, but I couldn't simulate what I was trying to build, so I didn't go any further.  If I get some time, I'll download it again and see if I can identify the problems I was having.   

It's not for everybody, and not for every bow, but I have always wanted something like this when going for performance.  It would be great to know that bow A with deflex here and reflex there, will theoretically store more energy than bow B with r/d in different positions.  No, this doesn't build the bow for you but it could save you from building 10 prototype bows to find the one that stores the most energy. 

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:38 pm »
Can't get it to start. It starts to open then I get a window with 3 error messages and it closes before I can read them.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 03:25:13 pm »
I read some guy was winning flight shoots using something like that, but for arrows,, (--)

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:52 pm »
I read some guy was winning flight shoots using something like that, but for arrows,, (--)

interesting.......... any links to help track that down?