Author Topic: No trade this year?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline bushboy

No trade this year?
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:06:31 pm »
I'm working a 21 and 7 shift at a northern dam site in Canada and wouldn't have time to organize and my computer skills are bad!just wondering if someone is thinking of taking the lead?thxs!bush
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: No trade this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:52:51 am »
Don't think last years has been completed  :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:14:09 am »
The trade from last year still has one person that has not shipped. That individual seems to have left the site and the phone number he gave me no longer works.  The last I heard from that individual he said he would follow through and make it right.  I am still waiting for that to happen.

If it wasn't for this, I would have already started a trade for this year.  As it stands right now I will not be running the trade this year.  If anyone else wants a to run it, I will provide them with information about who to not let in the trade. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:04:00 am »
I don't have the time. I knew I didn't have the time to properly participate last year. I was torn between wanting to participate and knowing I shouldn't. I decided not to. I sure never want to be unable to finish a properly made bow. I have a couple private trades going now and they will take my spare time. These individuals deserve my best. That's what I'm going to try to give them. I hope they like em. As in all of these trades I understand getting excited to participate. Most are good traders, but some probably well intentioned participants can really cause hard feelings. I urge anyone thinking about getting into any of our trades to realize their limitations. I also urge them to communicate. I also urge them to post pictures if they can and at the very least acknowledge that they received their trade item. There's a great bunch of people on this site. I've met several and have not been disappointed. They were all even nicer in person. I consider them more than good friends. I think about them often.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:02:41 am »
That's too bad, Swampman. I have been around here for many years now and its more than disappointing to see the trade degrade like it has. That comment has NOTHING to do with who is still in it, rather its all about the scheming and scamming that has went on through the years. Too bad people cant simply be honest with themselves. We tried to put limitations on who could enter to try and head off scams and schemes, all we got was back lash for initiating any kind of exclusion. So, 90% of the entrants stepped away and stayed away. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:31:16 am »
I want everyone to know that I enjoyed running the trade.  That is why I volunteered to run it as I see it as something good for primitive bow building (and I feel last year's trade was good)  As for the one participant that has not yet received a bow, he will get one as I built a reserve bow just in case this scenario happened.  I am just hoping that the person that is supposed to send a bow out will follow through as he said he would. If he doesn't my bow is ready to ship.

Now that I am thinking about it, maybe I will open up a 2019 bow trade.  I would really hate to see this die off completely.  I am going to think about it for a day or two but in the meantime, if someone else wants to start the trade, go for it.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:33 am »
 I participated for probably five or six years straight. used to be one of my favorite topics to visit when I go on the site. was also very exciting to see who ended up with whose bow. unfortunately the drama Chris speaks of happened. I've gotten to the point that I have little to no desire to make a bow for someone who does not make them. Personally I think a good handful of people that sign up have more desire to receive than give. and when you start excluding people that starts a never ending war on this website. I am by no means the best maker or even close to it but I know I can produce a durable hunting weight weapon.  as for new guys that sign up the argument is it forces them to get their feet wet, I say get your feet wet on your own time not ours. Many people come  most end up leaving  and very few stay  stuck on this Hobby .  It's not for everyone! now I only do personal trades. I do enjoy the Christmas and arrow trade. it's a very Noble thing to run the trade. it's too bad it can end up like herding cats. hopefully the excitement with the trade comes back to what it was one day

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:52:57 am »
I might step in again if need be but Swampman did a great job and I would be more than happy for someone other than me to go for it. If it were me leading i think i would only accept  people who had posted 2 or more bows to PA as that shows a level of commitment to the hobby and this community

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 08:14:00 am »
What!!!!!???? Is the trading post going down??!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:41:48 am »
Who's left out . What is his bow requirements. He's not left out. Need a week plus shipping time. Been there. PM me. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:49:20 am »
Like I was saying. There are some really great people on this site. That's above and beyond Arvin. I really do wish I had the time to participate. I'm watching the calendar approach March though and I'm running out of time.
Best Wishes for a really good trade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:59 am »
Well, I have had time to think about it and I do not want to see the bow trade die out.  Also, when people like Arvin step up, it makes me proud to be part of this community and want to do what I can to keep things moving in a good direction.

I will be posting the start of the 2019 bow trade soon. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:04 am »
If Arvin is the guy who will make bows for folks who got stiffed, id enter just hoping I got stiffed! An arvin bow is something to have!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others