Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Del's Dilemma

(1/3) > >>

Del the cat:
I've finally booked up for a flight shoot in May giving me plenty of prep time.   :BB
They are only running a  few classes of bows but have said they can fit my Osage flight bow (80#? at 28") into the shoot somewhere  ;D (I had been pushing for a self bow class)
I'll also make a 50# ELB which will have to use wooden arrows.
My dilemma is:- If I shoot the Osage in the Target Recurve class I could use carbon arrows which might get me further than I've shot before :) (Yeah I know I've used the "C" word, but I figured this is the most appropriate forum).
I'd rather use wooden arrows but this a chance for a PB... so how much further will a well tuned carbon (say 3-4mm diameter) go compared to a well tuned wooden flight arrow? (assuming same weight)
Yes I know it's a bit of an unaswerable question, but has anyone got a ball park idea or some experience?
Del

Marc St Louis:
Actually Del I bought a small diameter C arrow many years ago and set it up for flight shooting, shortened, small fletch, lightened point.  I tested it along with some wood arrows I had and it could not quite match them in distance

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Marc St Louis on February 09, 2019, 06:15:40 am ---Actually Del I bought a small diameter C arrow many years ago and set it up for flight shooting, shortened, small fletch, lightened point.  I tested it along with some wood arrows I had and it could not quite match them in distance

--- End quote ---
Cheers Marc, rather than buying enough to make the full 6 arrows, maybe I'll just get a couple of pieces for comparison.
I'm thinking 3mm solid rod and maybe 4mm tube might be worth a try... I don't want to end up with a workshop full of glass n carbon tho' (spits on floor)   ;D
Del

DC:
Has anyone tried sections of carbon fishing rod? I begged a bunch of broken ones from the local repair shop back when I was using that kind of stuff for my model sailboats. They come in various tapers and stiffness and you can pick your diameter by moving up and down the rod. I haven't tried them because of the carbon stigma but maybe I should.

Badger:
  I would also install an elevated rest. Too bad they won't make some extra classes for primitive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version