Author Topic: Ocean Spray and RH  (Read 1788 times)

Offline DC

Ocean Spray and RH
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:53:48 am »
Does anyone have any idea how Ocean Spray reacts to low Relative Humidity? For the last couple of weeks we've had Arctic outflow winds and the RH in my shop has dropped to 25-30%. I'm not sure if I should abandon bow making until the weather turns back to the normal 50%. I don't have any hickory ;D ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Ocean Spray and RH
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:33:26 pm »
maybe you could check some scrap pieces of wood with mositure meter, and see how the moisture content is,,
if your shop is heated and low relative humidty,, some wood could be to dry to work with,,

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:15:59 am »
It does really well in low humidity.  Sometimes you will get vertical cracks  but they are benign. I am in Eastern Washington, and the RH is about 20% now. When it gets this low I put the yew and Vine maple away and only work on Ocean Spray. I have yet to break one.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:23:54 am »
Never worked it much, but I do know the bow I have is a mite stronger in the winter than in the summer!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:02:58 am »
It does really well in low humidity.  Sometimes you will get vertical cracks  but they are benign. I am in Eastern Washington, and the RH is about 20% now. When it gets this low I put the yew and Vine maple away and only work on Ocean Spray. I have yet to break one.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:27 am »
DC,, I had a sinew backed pecan,, shot it all year,, then winter came and I had it in the heated room,,,went outside to shoot it,, blew up,,
I had my moisture meter,, it was bout 4 %....i forgot how low the humidity can get in a heated room,, I am a bit more careful now,, but not  with my rasp,, they dont blow up often,,  :) (--)

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:55 pm »
I've been boiling a kettle in the garage whenever I'm out there. I can get it up to 50% but it doesn't last. As soon as the kettle goes dry the RH plummets. It's electric heat too, I didn't think the dry air would get back in so quick. Garage is all weatherstripped and tight.