Author Topic: tiller check?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiller check?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 08:12:00 am »
Except for that weak spot Pearlie was talking about this is my idea of what a R/D should look like at full draw. Almost the arch of a circle.
In the words of Roy...it's OK I guess.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 04:15:17 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. Getting the perfect tiller on these bows is definitely an art.

Thank you Jawge.  :)

Thanks lbhf. I agree the outer thirds could be a little weak. I'm considering gluing some thin lams of mulberry on them and reworking then till I have them a bit straighter. I'm afraid that if I fail at tweaking them as is I'll ruin the bow.

Thanks Leon. It's a work in progress for sure.

BJ, thanks for chiming in. You've got a great natural sense of tillering so it's much appreciated. I think you'd be great at this design, you should give it a try sometime!

Paul, what you said makes a lot of sense to me. I feel like if the reflex straightens out but doesn't bend much beyond that, you're getting the most out of those sections.

Thanks Pat. I had a tendency to let the inners work too much when I first started making this design, so now I'm probably trying not to do that too much! It really goes to show that this style takes numerous trials to get it just right.

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 09:06:35 pm »
I have a hard time tillering a R/D style bow. Most R/D bows I see have an ugly full draw profile. With the deflexed handle, in my minds eye the tiller of your bow looks more natural. To me the others look unopened at full draw.  Just my opinion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC