Author Topic: tiller check?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

tiller check?
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:19:50 pm »
Hi guys,

Would you mind telling me what you think of this tiller? I've been straining my eyes and could use a 2nd opinion. It's the fastest bow I've ever made, so I'm hesitant to change anything, but I've always found it beneficial to ask.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: tiller check?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »
Burn it :)

On that bottom limb it appears weak about 10" from the tip. Be very careful in that area if still have to sand and such.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:19:41 pm »
To me(I reserve the right to be wrong) that looks like great tiller for a straight bow factoring in what PD said. Now look at the unbraced profile. Taking that into consideration I would think that the middle should be bent more and the tips should be a little straighter. Does that make sense?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »
I agree there could be some refinements,, but if it was me,, and shooting great,, I wouldnt touch it,,

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »
I knew I saw that weak spot Pearly, I just wanted to pretend it wasn't there.  O:) I'll carefully see if I can fix that up.

That does make sense DC. I've still got a few pounds to play with maybe I'll do some heavy sanding in the middle.

I hear ya Brad. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks guys
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:46:15 pm »
Nice work. Looks like a great shooter.I will leave the tiller critique to the Pros like Pearl, badger,DC, and the others.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:55:55 pm »
I see what you talking about in the pic,, but in the unbraced,, its not showing at all,, seems it would be taking a bit of set there,, it it was weak,, thats why I not sure what to do,,,,I guess it wouldnt hurt to sand and not touch that spot,, (R

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:08 pm »
I agree with DC.  But I have seen r/d bows perform well although they were tillered like straight bows.  The guy that got me started building lam bows, Roy Painter ( I believe he used to post here), tillers all his r/d bows like this.  And people love his bows. 
I think it's a little too late to change much, and the chrono doesn't lie, so I would let it ride.
It looks really nice by the way  :OK

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:04:49 pm »
You let Roy teach you? Big mistake. That old man cant see, hear or smell. Plus, he drinks too much. I wouldn't give you a nickel for the bow he gave me...……………. :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:20:57 pm »
It has crossed my mind that one of the reasons that RD's shoot nice is that a lot of them could be whip tillered. It just doesn't show.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:10 pm »
Looks good to me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 09:01:20 pm »
The outer thirds are a little week on both limbs. Chris is definitely right about that section on the bottom limb. If you compare the full draw and the braced pictures you can see what im taking about.  But with a little work I think it will be a shooter f sure.  I really like the unbraced profile!   

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:44 am »
Looks like a pretty bow! But what others said, it is basically a little whip tillered which does not mean it is bad. (I made some unintentional whip tillered pyramids when I started who still shoot fine after four years of use) Bottom end almost has a hinge so I think it would benefit from a little scraping on both inners if you have some draw weight to spare.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 05:21:17 am »
I haven't really done a RD but it doesn't seem like the inner third of each limb isn't bending much. Seems like the reflexed section must be bending a bit more than necessary. Having said all that if your not needing anymore draw length and don't want to give up anymore weight maybe you don't want to do to much. If I was going to remove wood it would be from inner third. I agree with Pearl, stay away from that slight hinge spot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 07:59:07 am »
 I think your Fades need to be working more at brace.  my goal is for the reflex to straighten out at full draw.