Author Topic: Looking for a line on an Osage stave for first self bow  (Read 1289 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Looking for a line on an Osage stave for first self bow
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:21:55 pm »
Hey guys, I have made several board bows but want to try and build my first bow from a stave. I have a couple of staves that are twisted with tight growth rings that need to be straightened. I want to start with something premium first so I have a frame of reference as to what it’s like to work with a good premium stave that’s as idiot proof as possible. Anyone here have any for trade?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:34:36 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline DuBois

Re: Looking for a line on an Osage stave for first self bow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:39:55 pm »
Hi and welcome.
You might have better luck in the trading post section but don't mention money-trades only unless you work it out privately.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:31 pm »
Marco is right. Trading Post will be your best bet but don't mention money on there. You can make a deal with someone on line but keep it trades only on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:25:50 pm »
Perfect! Thanks!
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:30:36 pm »
On another note is it just me or prices on lumber have skyrocketed since the last time I was building. If I remember correctly I could get Osage slats for board bows at 70 inches for $40 or so at several online bow building sites. Now I can’t find anything under $70 per slat on some of the same sites.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pop

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:06:07 pm »
On another note is it just me or prices on lumber have skyrocketed since the last time I was building. If I remember correctly I could get Osage slats for board bows at 70 inches for $40 or so at several online bow building sites. Now I can’t find anything under $70 per slat on some of the same sites.

What sites are you finding osage slats at all? If you dont mind me asking.