Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114592 times)

Offline the q force

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »
Hey guys, name is Al, or Q (i like the letter Q) Im 23 years of age living in MI; I was born in TX but raised in South America, Peru to precise.

I've been following everyone's, advice, adventures, and misadventures, from the shadows for quite some time; yielding many a good results (improving upon the first and only bow i've made so far)  I decided to take the plunge and join in the fun, because i plan on making more bows throughout the spring and summer (no working in the non-heated garage during a Michigan winter, thats just not happening)

I'd post a pic of my bow, but its undergoing major repairs, it is a real short (47") black walnut, backed with artificial sinew and covered with silk (have to thank Justin's build along for the idea) and all glued up with animal glue, nocks are road killed deer bone (it was hours fresh so she went straight to the freezer :D ). Pulls low 20 some #  (beginners are indeed prone to over-shave than to under-shave the wood)

Hope I can learn from all of you, and maby, eventually, even help those who r treading on the roads I once traveled

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:30:30 pm by the q force »
Arming a post-apocalyptic army 1 arrow at a time.

Metamora (middle of nowhere) MI

salad days

« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2009, 05:36:02 pm »
Hey Q. I'm over in Flint and work in Waterford. I'm also fairly new at this. PM if ya ever wanna talk shop.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2009, 06:44:38 am »
Good to see another guy from Michigan on here, even if ya live on the wrong side of da bridge eh ;) :D

Welcome aboard Q :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:54 pm »
names stanley i live in lewiston idaho and if you want my number just ask same with everything else

Offline DanaM

« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:15 pm »
Welcome aboard Stanley, glad ya joined us :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Juniper_newbie

« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:19 am »
Hi everyone,
Im brand to new to building bows my first project is a juniper branch bow. Right now Im at the beginning of the tillering process.
Its harder than I expected Im battling a twist thats driving me nuts but i think itll work out. I am from St.Maries Id and right now im going to school in Boise Id. If any one from nearby would like to work on or just talk about bows or go for a hunt that would be awesome :) Well i suppose that covers it but thanks for all the great info you guys have posted.
Cameron

Offline DanaM

« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »
Wecome to the family Cameron, if ya have questions or just need a little encouragement just ask eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline casper

« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:25 am »
hi im casper,i live in sweet home oregon. i just started my first bow on monday, a alder board bow. i wanted something easy for the first one lol. my brother has is own cabinet shop so different woods arent a problem.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:52 am »
Glad ya stopped in casper, alder eh, I'm working on a tag alder(michigan) bow hope yer alder is
tougher than this stuff. Post some pictures when ya get her shooting :)

Manistique, MI

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:15 am »
hi primitives!

i'm from switzerland. i joined you cause i wanted to see the pictures of your bows which are sometimes discussed on the german "fletcher's corner" board. Now i'm visiting your page regularly and i do really like what i see and read.

i completed only 2 bows so far (hazel selfbows), but those wont be the last  ;D

greetings, thomas
Swabian in Switzerland

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:14 am »
howdy,im new to this c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r stuff but have been a p.a. subscriber for years. i live in northern ohio,oregon,with my beautiful wife and my dog buddy.started hunting in"89 with a wheel bow:( in '92 i saw norm blaker on michigan outdoors shooting aspirin outta the air with homemade equipment and i was hooked ever since.in '97 my wife n i met norm and jean at a pow wow in indiana. since then norm has taught me the wonders of flintknapping,arrowsmithing and bowmaking. now im in no way comparing myself to norm, he stands alone.since '02 ive made aboot a dozen bows that shoot and thats outta maybe 20 attempts if not more.i love the journey of bowyers work and like knapping its a neverending learning process every piece is different. thanks for having me.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DanaM

« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2009, 12:26:57 pm »
Glad you guys decided to stop by and say hi :) We all would love to see some pictures of your bows :)

Manistique, MI

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:31 pm »
I'm new here - been lurking for about a week or so I think. I have a couple Red Oak linen-backed board bows under my belt already and about two or three other bow projects in the works. I'm into archery solely for the fun of making and shooting bows and having fun shooting defenseless paper targets at the archery range. Neither my wife nor I hunt. I'm primarily a hobbyist woodworker and I most enjoy using hand tools to shape my bows almost exclusively. I have the first three volumes of TTBB and I enjoy perusing them to look at all the interesting variations in bow design. I think I'm most fascinated by historical, Native American, and bows made by other primitive cultures. I'll also admit I kinda like fantasy bows and crossbows as well. I'm just wishing I'd discovered this hobby a few years ago rather than smack at the beginning of middle age. Oh yeah, and I'm located in Chicago, Illinois - but not for long I hope.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2009, 11:53:48 am »
Welcome to PA and I also wish I had started this journey at a younger age  >:( But better late than never eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2009, 12:04:00 pm »
Welcome Kiltedcelt.
Sounds like your off to a good start.  you should fit right in. Plenty of paper slayers here.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark