Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114589 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2009, 06:51:29 am »
No time like the present to start building bows, welcome aboard eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Danny Roberts

« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2009, 11:22:13 pm »
Danny Roberts from Meade County Kentucky. Self bowyer.
Kentucky

Nico(BE)

« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2009, 03:55:25 am »
Hi all,

I'm Nicolas, living in Belgium for 26 years now and born in Greenwich, Connecticut just about 35 years ago. Sorry for my English, as I forgot most of it...
Married, 3 absolutely perfect little girls of 4, 2 and 0,5 years old.

I started to make bows I'd say 2 years ago, but at a quite "slow" rythm (around 6 or 7 adult bows till now). I also make bows for kids quite often as I have plenty of bowhunting freinds with little boys who want to hunt "as dady" :)

Mainly working on yew till now, as it as about all I could find  ;D, dreaming of osage without daring to buy some without "touching" it...

I think that's about it, I also fool around with atlatl  :P

See ya,

Nic

Offline DanaM

« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2009, 08:54:28 am »
Glad ya stopped by danny and Nico, good folks here at PA, and the more the merrier :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2009, 09:03:25 am »
Welcome folks, you'll like it here I feel sure!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Westbound

« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:20 am »
I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.  I'm Justin, and I'm from North Texas (Fort Worth).
I hope to start working on a bow soon, and knew I'd better register for the message boards, as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions :)

15 or so years ago, I built a bow with my godfather.  He is a buckskinner and a primitive archer.  I was just a kid then, but I remember the joy and satisfaction of the first pull on that bow after so many hours of work.
4 years ago, after not being pulled for a few years, it decided to explode.  I really wanted to tear up and cry!!  Now that I'm older and have better skill with my hands, I'm starting up again.

Thanks in advance for your patience with my "noob" questions!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2009, 10:37:52 am »
Ask all the questions ya want Westbound, glad to see another self bowyer starting out :)

Manistique, MI

irondawg

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
i am from ohio i make my own hunting gear enjoy sellfbows and everything out of doors. ::)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2009, 06:49:27 am »
Glad to have ya irondawg :)

Manistique, MI

Offline chiefyew

« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2009, 12:54:42 pm »
Hey, I'm Nick, or Service-bear-y and I'm from Idaho.  I've hunted with a martin glass bow for ten years (and the glass has bothered me for 9 years)  and just started building my first bow.  Actually have 3 started atm, yew (need to boil and bend limb before tillering, tried steam for 3 hours and it just sucks) serviceberry, and BL.  Any advice on the best size for a boiling pipe?  Anyways, I have lived for hunting since I was 12, and have taken many deer, 3 elk and 3 black bears.  Would like to sell bows in the near future (am I dreaming that I could make good enough bows to sell with only a year or two of experience?)  and is there much of a demand for primitive, plain-jane serviceberry/chokecherry bows?  or could I even sell them for $200 or more if they are quality bows?  I'd also like to find some more seriously dedicated wilderness people to hunt and backpack with (undomesticated humans preferred).  Only problem is that I may be moving soon due to a job, so hopefully I'll land near some serious wilderness types.  Anyone near my neck of the woods?
          ----only been on here about a week, and you guys rock!  I've been crazy busy with school, but I'm renewing my subscription asap:)  probably today         
hey

Offline chiefyew

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:54 pm »
Hey, I'm Nick, or Service-bear-y and I'm from Idaho.  I've hunted with a martin glass bow for ten years (and the glass has bothered me for 9 years)  and just started building my first bow.  Actually have 3 started atm, yew (need to boil and bend limb before tillering, tried steam for 3 hours and it just sucks) serviceberry, and BL.  Any advice on the best size for a boiling pipe?  Anyways, I have lived for hunting since I was 12, and have taken many deer, 3 elk and 3 black bears.  Would like to sell bows in the near future (am I dreaming that I could make good enough bows to sell with only a year or two of experience?)  and is there much of a demand for primitive, plain-jane serviceberry/chokecherry bows?  or could I even sell them for $200 or more if they are quality bows?  I'd also like to find some more seriously dedicated wilderness people to hunt and backpack with (undomesticated humans preferred).  Only problem is that I may be moving soon due to a job, so hopefully I'll land near some serious wilderness types.  Anyone near my neck of the woods?
          ----only been on here about a week, and you guys rock!  I've been crazy busy with school, but I'm renewing my subscription asap:)  probably today         

nickf

« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2009, 05:40:11 pm »
Hey, I'm Nick, I live in friesland, northern part of the Netherlands. I've been making bows for 2 years, wich came in waves, some months I was totally into bowmaking, some month I totally wasn't :p
I'm in my biggest 'wave' I've had yet, and I really enjoy it :) can't imaging this is going to stop, until I've cut down every tree in my neighboorhood ;) I shoot a little, for various reasons, the arrows I've made broke very quickly, I lost them even faster, and after making a dozen of boo arrows, wich are unbreakable, I found only 3 of them match. Other excuses are the lack of a target, and the fact my arrows dig-in when I'm shooting at short range (flat trajectory)

I used to post on paleoplanet, but I found this being a very interesting forum. going to sign up for PA newsletter asap, probably today ;)

greetings,

Nick

Offline crumrw

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2009, 08:26:33 pm »
Hey guys.  I'm new here, but some might know me from other primitive forums.  Sayin' hello from Austin, TX (...soon to be Dallas after I get married this summer). 
Garland, TX

jeffreythree

« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:04 pm »
Hello everybody, I am a self professed noob at this new hobby of mine.  I know a lot about woodworking, even got my own portable sawmill and a woodlot full of hickory, osage, and many others.  Figured I like woodworking and archery so I am taking a stab at combining the two.  I live near of Denton, TX and spend a lot of my time at my property near Paris, TX.

Jeff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:07 pm »
Glad you guys decided to join the party :)

Manistique, MI