Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114575 times)

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2008, 11:32:26 pm »
hey.. james floyd here...i am a jawgya boy at heart and always will be... right now i am stationed at ft hood... just got back in december of 07 from Iraq....headed back again this december.... building a few elk antler three peice takedowns for the rafle we had at memoeial day bbq... i picked up this obsession from my grandfather who was a naval corpman in korea... i am a combat medic in 1st cavalry division and have been picking up more skill with bowyering since i picked up my first issue of PA in may of last year... i feel that man should get back to his primitive roots in order to make himself a better man. you can only advance so far before you cant advance any more..... howeevr.. to rediscover roots in things primtive is to make a primal connection to the great earth mother and the skyfather... maybe oneday there will be a calling from nature or mans own stupidity that requires the skills we learn here to be brought back into the light as a means of keeping ourselves alive... anyhoo... may you all have the blessings of the great mother and father and may your hands stay skilled in al pursuits
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:39:54 pm by DanaM »
death by natural causes

salad days

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:45 pm »
Support group sounds about right. Here's an idea for you administrators. Start an alternate web site for newby bowyers wives. In it, among all the decorating ideas you can secretly install propaganda designed to brake down there resistance to me getting some man-cave time >:D

Offline Postman

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:52 am »
Thanks for everything ya do bowmonkey....good stuff in the first post, couldn't agree more ;D. Good luck and be safe when you go back.

Hey-my Anatomy  students want to know how those new "wound packs" that quickly seal a wound work-someone said a relative in the service was telling them about a substance y'all slather on a wound that jells and seals  it up ????.... 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:56:13 am by DanaM »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2008, 10:57:41 am »
As you see I deleted some posts and edited others, keep it civil and no politics. Got it?????

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2008, 12:12:33 pm »
postman... we dont have anthing that we slather on... we do have the chitosan dressings made from ground shrimp shells.... they work great in theory... but the thing is that in combat they arent that great as far as wound packing goes... the thought is to cut a plug the size of the hole from a peice of this stuff and put it in... when the chitosan comes in contact with blood or any other fluid... it turns to a pudding type substance.. this puts presuuree on the artery and also helps as a coagulant... the problem is that there is usually so much blood that it slips and the bleeding continues.... then we have quick clot .... this hemostatic bandage is used for arterial bleeds in the groin and armpit region mostly... again.. in theory it works wonders... you just shove these little packs of powder in the bleeding hole till you cant get anymore in... and as soon as the blood hits the powder.. the powder undergoes a chemical reaction to the saline in your blood and super heats... cauterizing the wound... but in doing so they cook a portion of the muscle and other tissues around the wound... so if you are in the clinical setting and you uhave time to use it... its great.... but in combat nothing beats a combat application torniquet and some kerlix gauze rolls

i also want to apologize for any rude or politically incorect statements i made
death by natural causes

Offline Postman

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:05 pm »
Chitosan.... that's it.. sorry to hear it doesn't work as well as they had hoped.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2008, 01:55:13 pm »
yeah.. like i said though... there is no substitute for a cat torniquet and some kerlix
death by natural causes

escanabajosh

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:09 am »
hey there my names josh and i'm from escanaba MI, kinda checking out the whole long bow thing....i think its cool as heck that with a draw knife you can make a bow as beautiful as all the pic i seen! they look so much better then the ones in cabelas. anyways i'm a compund hunter and my hoyt shop is trying to screw me outta money so i might have to just give this stuff a try? if it breaks BUILD A NEW ONE! i like the sound of that. also how many bows do yas think i can build with $500-$600? cause thats what i got into mine and thats not counting the $130 for 12 arrows! thanks and hello to everyone

radius

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:37 am »
i think you can build quite a few

salad days

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
The best things in life are free, and that includes bows right?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:30 pm »
                                                     Another Damned Yooper!!!!!!!!!

I'm originally from Ishpeming..16 miles west of Marquette
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

ElWoodTroll

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »
Hello all, I'm brand spank'n new to PA. I am a  55, disabled and love to carve wood (mainly sculptures). I live in south central Nebraska. I find most of my wood that  I carve along riparian stands and wind breaks. Osage  and western red cedar are plentiful. I carve with gouges, spoke shaves, chain saw, band saw, grinders, sanders and a variety of home made knives. Love to make little sticks out of big sticks. Looking forward to building my first hunting bow. I would appreciate any and all suggestions (friendly) on suggest reading as it pertains to this message board and any other destinations on the net that can help me get going

Offline DanaM

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2008, 07:44:23 am »
Welcome aboard ElWood, glad to have ya :)

Well well looky here its not just another Yooper its my nephew :) escnabajosh glad to see you finally made it on here :)
When ya going to come up here and start learning to make a bow? I know your busy between work, school and a girlfriend
but the doors always open. Glad to hear your coming into the light and abandoning the lure of the evil compound :)
Welcome aboard Josh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2008, 01:31:43 pm »
i agrees with dana... the compound is an evil contraption that takes all the fun outta hunting... its like a rifle with a short range... the primitive bows are art in and of themselves... and the art of hunting with them... or even stump shooting is an addiction that is healthy for all.. it gives a sense of accomplishment when your stick you have been whitlin on for so long brings down food for the table.... sinew to futher your craft, hide to clothe your self in and antler and bone to make tools or jewelry with... wel;come one and all.. you will find that with in these webpages you are talking to some of the finest gentlemen and a few ladies that ever walked this planet
death by natural causes

bigbadjon

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2008, 03:13:36 pm »
Hi, My name's Jon. I'm 22 and I live in Lithia, Fl. I am pretty new to archery, my preference for old timey equipment led me to break out an old recurve bow and I find it fascinating. It is fiberglass and I like natural materials and so ultimately I ended up here. I am mostly a lurker as I am in the learning and research phase but I'll let you guys know once I get a bow built. Between this forum and The Bowyers Bible I'm sure to find inspiration. I look forward to seeing you guys often.