Author Topic: Anyone ever build a plains-gullwing style bow?  (Read 16949 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Anyone ever build a plains-gullwing style bow?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 09:40:59 am »
All recurves are not deflex handle.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:26 am »
How would a gullwing molle hybrid work out?  Like others said the gullwing stuck around for a while and probably there were reasons.  I'm wondering if stiff tips or molle-like levers would take advantage of the reflexed handle and mid limb area?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 09:48:50 am »
Pat, you're correct I was mistaken. The majority of modern (i.e. glass) recurves and take down recurves are deflex handle, but  not all recurves are.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01:08 am »
I know of one bow maker who has a theory that reflex handles were the result of D shaped bows taking set ,and losing power.Simple solution was  to heat, and reflex handle to re gain some power. His theory, not mine, but may have some merit. Who really knows if it was done because of that ,and how many times it may have been done, and by what tribes.

that's a good idea to think about.
I always had the idea that all that curves where maybe a way to pack a longer bow in a small length making it more suitable on horse
So i tried a quick measuring on NorthHeart image and it looks like I was completely wrong
the curved to straight ratio is only 1,006   not a big difference

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 10:10:00 pm »
My extra long (73.75" ttt) gullwing is rough shaped and top limb floor tillered I'll be floor tillering the bottom limb and steaming in the reflex tomorrow. Given the length of the limbs, the angle on my bending form and allowing for some "spring-back" when the clamps come off I'm expecting 4.5" to 5" of back set.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
Profile shot.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 09:41:11 am »
I know of one bow maker who has a theory that reflex handles were the result of D shaped bows taking set ,and losing power.Simple solution was  to heat, and reflex handle to re gain some power. His theory, not mine, but may have some merit. Who really knows if it was done because of that ,and how many times it may have been done, and by what tribes.

that's a good idea to think about.
I always had the idea that all that curves where maybe a way to pack a longer bow in a small length making it more suitable on horse
So i tried a quick measuring on NorthHeart image and it looks like I was completely wrong
the curved to straight ratio is only 1,006   not a big difference

Thats what i love about this forum, yall got the technical stuff down. I wouldnt even know where to begin to initiate those little red and yellow measurement lines, lol.

Irish Jay, i think its awesome you decided to take on this little experiment to measure the differences.  I hope you see it thorough i think were all interested in the results. :OK  I do however wonder if making a really long version (of what was typically a shorter bow) will skew the results?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »
I still plan to do the matching board bows, probably in the 64" to 66" in range, this long one is just for fun.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:04 pm »
Bent the reflex into the handle today. With both limb tips touching the wall I measured 3.75" to the back of the bow center handle. The top limb currently has a bit more reflex than the bottom, so tomorrow I'll be resteaming and to bring that bottom limb forward a bit more. Hopefully that will bring me to right around 4" of backset at the handle. Then I just have to deflex the outer halves of the limbs and it's time to tiller.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 12:28:51 am »
Enjoy the speed and and I think you'll feel the volatility in the bow hand.   >:D. I think you might find the secrets of the design will lie within the fd curve.

Offline PatM

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 05:39:22 am »
I would study lots of pics of actual bows before committing to putting the deflex too much in one spot.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2019, 08:57:00 am »
I don't think u will need to deflect it,...it will do it on its own...

Offline PatM

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:32 am »
   Hard to say  how the shape was achieved but it would be practical to just let it  form on its own by bending.

Then the argument might be whether heated in set is exactly like bending set.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2019, 11:21:00 am »
good point Pat,, I was just thinking that it will slightly deflex on its own,, and the reflex in the handle is gonna bend out a bit,, if the profile was not what you wanted you could add more deflex,, I think that might slow the bow down,, so I was opting for letting it hold as much tip forward as possible,,it should still have a gull wing shape,, just not as dramatic as some other bows,, I have always thought of just adding sinew at the handle too keep it from bending out..which mine usually did,,

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »
I got the reflex evened up, so now I have fairly even tips and 4.5" of backset at the center of the handle. After considering all of the comments regarding deflexing. I think I'm going to heat in a little, but not much. The idea being to start the bends where I want them to achieve the gullwing shape, and the hope that any set the bow takes follows the curves I've already established.