Author Topic: ERC bow designs.  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Mafort

ERC bow designs.
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:11:13 pm »
Which bow designs are best for eastern red cedar? I’ve seen Elbs made from them, recurves, sinew backed bows, and more made from erc but is there any one design that you all would recommend more than others? My grandpa jay is hunting in Colorado in the mountains and I wanted to make him a bow that he can use

Offline bassman

Re: ERC bow designs.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:56:16 pm »
I have never made a bow from ERC,but from what I have read on here ,and studying California NA bows it is a type of Juniper.Compression strong ,and works well sinew backed.Others like fdp on leather wall have made good self bows from Texas Juniper also.I am sure guys on here have made successful bows from it also. I am surprised you are not getting more replies to this thread.

Offline Scyth

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:07:31 pm »
Mafort -

Look up  “The Reflexed Sinew-Backed Bow of the Sierra Miwok” . . .

regards,

John
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 05:20:15 am »
That is an expensive book.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:52:15 am »
My thoughts are ERC is light weight and strong in compression so a good match with sinew since the lightness helps counteract the sinew weight. I also have had ERC blow up before and I don't think I will make a bow from it unless backed. My first bow was an ERC short bow that I tillered while still too moist and took massive set. I backed it with silk from a second hand skirt and it is still in one piece but not a lot of arrows have actually been through it.
Beautiful wood and great aroma.
Good luck.
Marco

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:57:17 am »
ERC sapwood makes a nice bow. I saw and shot an all sapwood ERC ELB(45#@28") a few years ago the quite impressed me.
 I've made a few ERC bows over the years. I think I'd keep it long and back it with something, rawhide, silk, linen, sinew, hickory or maple.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:49 pm »
It’ll be use for hunting in the Colorado Rockies. I’m trying to avoid sinew due to the moisture. Might do something like linen fiber

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:26:18 pm »
You can easily put a very water resistant finish on sinew.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:00 pm »
What do you recommend for that? I was going to use thin rawhide and then polyurethane finish but I don’t have a lot of sinew backing experience

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »
  I would hold off then and make a bow of a wood that's less finicky.

Limbit

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 02:59:04 am »
You can harvest Rocky mountain juniper in CO. Moisture won't be an issue there. Sinew it and if moisture is an issue, put a snake skin or birch bark over the sinew to protect it a bit.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:36:18 pm »
 I don’t live in Colorado. I’m in Kentucky

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 01:22:14 pm »
If gramps is going hunting out of state I'd not use ERC in any form. Personal opinion, Id use osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:45 pm »
What Pearl said or at least make sure he carries a good back up, especially if you are making it out of the heart wood. Sap wood is a little more predictable and much more reliable.  :)  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mafort

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 05:25:55 am »
I’m in Kentucky and sending it to him in Colorado for hunting there. I’m just trying to make him a good reliable bow. Anyways I don’t have any Osage near me I have to go a few hours away to get it.