Author Topic: backing?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline recurve shooter

backing?
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:10:48 pm »
im currently fiddling around wit a little bow for my cousin. im not good enough to make me one yet, so i just goof around, build up my skill, and give the results to my little cuz's.  my current problem is that i horibly underpowered a red oak board bow. i want to try backing it, and i need to know what matirials and glues to use. i prefer someting easly atainable, and im currently unable to make my own glue. the bamboo around here aint big enough to use one piece, could i split it and use the strips? how about artificial sinew? aint got time to get real thing. apriciate yalls time

recurveshooter,

who now shoots a long bow.
lets just shoot it

Offline david w.

Re: backing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:32 pm »
artificial sinew wont work its waxed.

if the boo is big enough you can split it and plane it flat and use that as a backing.

why dont you get some silk or linen you can get it from a fabric store or the goodwill. they have silk pants or dresses that would work
i bought enough linen from there to last for a really long time

im sure you have an old pair of blue jeans laying around. denim works as  a backing.

or you could get drywall tape and use that but its ugly

i bet even a few layers of ductape would work ;D

woodglue will work fine i use titebond2 or elmers yellow wood glue
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:46:23 pm »
ok, thanx. how much of the linen/silk/denim should i use? and is here any trick to aplying it or do ya just glue it on to the tillered bow?
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06:55 am »
I think you should read Georges site. http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
One layer of silk is plenty.  The denim will ad a lot more weight and you will loose performance.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:09:52 am »
ya justins right i would stay away from denim thats just if you didnt have anyhting else

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:17 am »
cool, i will. thank ya. how much would silk run me in a fabric stor?
lets just shoot it

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:15:07 am »
ok, thanx. how much of the linen/silk/denim should i use? and is here any trick to aplying it or do ya just glue it on to the tillered bow?

just glue it on.

i add a healthy layer of glue and then put on the backing. the backing is saturated in glue you may not need that much but thats how i do it. then i shellac it so it wont fray anymore you might not have to do that either but i do.

if youre backin gthe bow it probably doesnt have the straightest grain so back it before you tiller it i would hate to have it blow on you

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:19:20 am »
cool, i will. thank ya. how much would silk run me in a fabric stor?
Depends on the store.  Anywhere from $5-$8 a yard, but you only need 4" not 36" so get 1/4 yard and you will have enough for a couple of bows. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:21:30 am »
great websight, cleared alot up. next problem. the handle where i cut a shallow shelf into the bow seems to be the weakest point. will the silk be enough to ensure it dosent break, or should i glue on a thin piece of wood to the back to strenghthen it?
lets just shoot it

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 12:55:19 am »
I dont think silk or blue jeans are going to help your bow if being underpowered is the problem. You need a working backing like hickory. maybe induce some reflex when you glue it.   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 01:31:09 am »
You are not going to increase the draw weight by adding cloth backing. If it is too light you can reduce the length to add weight. Best thing to do is start your next bow and chalk this one up for experience.  What do you have against your little cousin. You will only give him a bow you wouldn't shoot.  ??? Make your next bow specifically for your cousin and I'll bet you get what you're shooting for. ;) 8)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:38 am »
 Pat is right material backing won't add poundage to the bow. And silk is Not as good as linen. Test results show that silk has considerably more stretch then linen. A working backing like hickory or especially bamboo would be the best. Sinew will add weight as well but is more weather sensitive. keenan

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:08:15 am »
thanx, i think im gonna back it just for some experience, then start my next bow. and i dont reallly like my cousin, but the only mistakes i usually make is underpowering bows, and he is a really little feller, so that works out right for him. and i think my next one is gonna be specificly for him, like u said.
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:14 am »
Keenan is right silk will stretch, so will linen.  This is exactly why I buy it from the fabric store not use recycled stuff.  If you cut one way it stretches a lot and the other way it stretches very little. They (usually) pay close attention to this when sowing and we should do the same for bows.  Ask the people at the fabric store which way is the salvage and which way stretches.  Justin

SW Utah