Author Topic: Black locust  (Read 11956 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Black locust
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 08:05:15 pm »
serviceb. wipe the back with a damp cloth, this helps make the seperate growth rings visable....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 11:05:06 am »
Chasing a ring is done as much by feel and hearing as by sight. After fooling with it awhile, you can easily tell the difference between the spongy/crunchy early growth and the harder late growth. What tools are you using?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 03:27:31 pm »
I'm using primarily my draw knife for this part, but scraping a little with my pocket knife as well, I've blown past a couple heart wood rings and am getting close to ruining the stave.  oh well, it's free BL, tons of it around Idaho, and I've got 2 serviceberry staves and a yew to work with anyhow.  I'm think that my drawknife might be a little dull since I'm not able to get very small shavings at all.  Or is that just this hard BL?  thanks again hillbilly
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 05:26:31 pm »
BL is really hard wood. Plus a slightly dull drawknife is better for chasing rings than a really sharp one. Be sure to use the drawknife with the bevel down. If you use it with the flat side down it'll dig in.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.