Author Topic: Another newbie question  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Catkinson

Another newbie question
« on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:32 pm »
So silly question — I don’t have a bench vise , So how else do you guys takeoff wood and work on your bows when you do not have a vise to put it in?
 The only tutorials and videos I’ve seen the guys have their bows in a vise when scraping or taking off wood .
Thanks in advance!!
Chuck

Offline gfugal

Re: Another newbie question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:57:26 pm »
I used clamps on a heavy table or stationary surface like a deck railing when using a draw knife. Sometimes sitting on the bow worked if you were pulling it towards you, but it didn't work so well when you had to cut the other direction. sitting on it or clamping it to even a small table was enough when using a card scraper. I could even get away with just holding it in my hands if I used a rasp. If your shaping the bow without a draw knife, using a hatchet with the stave angled up on a stump or on grass works well too.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:57:59 pm »
If you are using a scraper you can do it in your lap, if taking off lots of wood a draw knife with the stave leaned up against a wall or tree.  :) Or C Clamp it to a table.  :) I use a vice most of the time now but have done it many times scraping in my lap. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »
Chuck you can use a "C" clamp on your work bench.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scyth

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 04:00:44 pm »
This . . . (C-Clamp) . . .

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline Catkinson

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:15 pm »
Well duh !
I can’t believe I didn’t think of that !
You guys are awesome thanks!
Got a piece of premium grade hickory on the way and can’t wait to start .

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:13:20 am »
Patience, Grasshopper!  Plan every move two or three times, measure and plot more than that, then post your ideas before you remove any wood!  Try to find a bow maker in your area and listen to him/her!    (lol)what!  You don't take advise from a lady!??  Yo' mama gonna slap you silly! (lol) (lol)!
That is meant  to be funny! - not any sort of knock in the head or ego!  These folks will help al they can!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:19:36 am »
Btw, you should also  make a "chest protector" - an 8" square of wood with a rope necklace, helps brace the wood, and keeps the drawknife out of your chest cavity!  Of course, if your stroke is low, you may want to make it longer! (lol). We also have a sense of humor!  Btw, my. First bow is doing well, so far!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:23:59 am »
Hold it upright, one end on the ground or a chopping block, other end in your hand, use an axe/hatchet.
Or build a shave horse :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:23:52 am »
Sharp hatchet!  And keep your leg out out the strike deflection zone!  Or, like Del said build a shave horse.  There are some plans in the "How to's", some are collapsible.  Have fun!  Don't work on the bow when you are tired or grumpy!  And don't get in a hurry!  Also, the only dump question is the one you don't ask!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 02:58:21 pm »
I built a shave horse in an afternoon from dimentional lumber. a couple of 2x2s, a 2x8, and some scrap 2x4.  Still holding up several years later.  There are lots of plans on the interwebs that you can modify to suit your own size and needs.  Now even if I had a bench vice, I would prefer the shave horse.  worth all the effort.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:11 pm »
A chest-high, stout post cemented into the floor, or clamped to a table, or bolted to a wall or clamped by a door-way is invaluable as you can nail/screw or carve all sorts of slots and face plates into/onto it - sort of a poor-man's leg-vice

Offline Catkinson

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:36 pm »
Patience, Grasshopper!  Plan every move two or three times, measure and plot more than that, then post your ideas before you remove any wood!  Try to find a bow maker in your area and listen to him/her!    (lol)what!  You don't take advise from a lady!??  Yo' mama gonna slap you silly! (lol) (lol)!
That is meant  to be funny! - not any sort of knock in the head or ego!  These folks will help al they can!
Hawkdancer
Lol
No offense taken
Sound wisdom .

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 12:48:25 pm »
I started out debarking staves with a draw knife, clamping them to my deck rail. As soon as you can scab onto a good 3-4" vise. I would go that way. works like a charm and much more control. Also the more stable it is to debark, the more proficient you will become at using the knife and controlling your blade angle which in turn will make it easier to learn to chase the rings on osage once it comes time for that. There is no substitute for the time spent to get used to the tool so that it does the work.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God