Author Topic: First post, first bow.  (Read 4729 times)

Offline katzmoor

First post, first bow.
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:12:15 pm »
Hi all. I am new to the forums, and for the longest time have been interested in primitive technology and bushcraft. I'm likely to find a few other dedicated forums for other topics, like PaleoPlanet, for the rest, but as for primitive archery I thought I'd settle down here due to recommendations. From a quick browse, it seems like a nice site, so I think things will be totally dandy.
As for starting off, I've decided to dive head first into the game. I've cut myself a nice, 6-7" diameter, 6' tall maple log (done 2 days ago as of now), and it's on my porch right now to dry. I'll probably glue the ends tomorrow when I'm not busy, since I've got a few pines out back ripe for making pitch or glue. I might fetch some juniper to go with it, since the uncommon stand of maple I found happened to have a couple of southern junipers nearby, and I hear it's a good wood to work with.
In any case, I wish well for my stay here, and to have a good time with everyone.  )P(
Here's the log: https://imgur.com/a/oBAbJ7u
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline Catkinson

Re: First post, first bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:58:59 pm »
I’m new too but can’t wait to learn !
Ordering tools and supplies to get started .

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:05:51 pm »
Katzmoor,
I think the best advice is to split the log into stave, remove the bark and seal the back and ends.  But I am a newbie as far as bow building and wood curing.  You might also go to the Trading Post section and try to work a trade.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:41:43 am »
Welcome to PA Katzmoor. It's looking like your bow is a bit heavy yet. I've never done a Maple bow yet. Like Hawkdancer said though, you need to at minimum split and seal the ends as soon as possible. I'm thinking Maple would be a white wood. If harvested during growing season the bark and cambium could be pealed of fairly easy. This time of year could be pretty tight. I've had good luck using hot water power washer to remove it on winter harvested Hop Hornbeam and Elm. Maybe someone with more Maple experience will chime in. Do you know what type of Maple it is. Almost looks like Sugar Maple. I'm not sure all Maple is good bow wood
Bjrogg
PS I'm looking on my phone  and picture is a bit blurry. At any rate good Luck. There could be a bow in there, but your gonna have to find it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:48:21 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:44 am »
Welcome to PA Katzmoor. It's looking like your bow is a bit heavy yet. I've never done a Maple bow yet. Like Hawkdancer said though, you need to at minimum split and seal the ends as soon as possible. I'm thinking Maple would be a white wood. If harvested during growing season the bark and cambium could be pealed of fairly easy. This time of year could be pretty tight. I've had good luck using hot water power washer to remove it on winter harvested Hop Hornbeam and Elm. Maybe someone with more Maple experience will chime in. Do you know what type of Maple it is. Almost looks like Sugar Maple. I'm not sure all Maple is good bow wood
Bjrogg
PS I'm looking on my phone  and picture is a bit blurry. At any rate good Luck. There could be a bow in there, but your gonna have to find it.
Thanks. :)
It's Red Maple, I saw the blossoms on it when I cut it down. The cambium of the sticks I brought home with it peeled well, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I hear vine maple is the one maple you don't want to make a bow out of due to its growth habit, but I'm not well versed on the details. In any case, it seemed like an excellent piece to start with, so I dived right in.  )W(
I'll get to splitting it when I'm done with school work.
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:34:28 pm »
Yep, the bark gives it away as red maple in my experience. The bark looks a bit like aspen.  Both  grow all over our wetland hunting property.  Never tried a red maple bow so I’m watching with great interest.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »

[/quote]
 I hear vine maple is the one maple you don't want to make a bow out of due to its growth habit, but I'm not well versed on the details
[/quote]

That is not correct. I don’t know if red maple makes a good bow or not. Silver maple does not. There are a multitude of fine bows made from vine maple on this site.

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 02:48:27 pm »
Katzmoor,
I think the best advice is to split the log into stave, remove the bark and seal the back and ends.  But I am a newbie as far as bow building and wood curing.  You might also go to the Trading Post section and try to work a trade.
Hawkdancer
I've split it in half, should I quarter it? I'll post a picture shortly.
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:20:29 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/H2jRhlK
Pictures I took after splitting. I can split again, I'll get to gluing it shortly. I have some papers to grade for my stepmother, and after that it should be well and good. I unfortunately don't know how to embed it here. The dirty color is from my hatchet - it's got surface rust - and the other two pieces are from the same tree.
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:26:42 pm »
So I finished preparing the staves for the night. I split them again (quarters now), peeled the bark, put wood glue on the ends and am now letting them set flat on the table outside until the glue cures. Can't wait to actually get working on them, I think they'll turn out well.  :BB
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:41:29 am »
If you've removed the bark you should seal the back too. Leave the split/Belly parts bare so the water can get out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:35 am »
Yes, do seal the backs or they will check. Also they will dry better in a controlled environment like in a basement or garage. After a while(few weeks to a month) bring them inside to complete the drying. If the quarter splits are big enough you could split them again then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:25 am »
Not sure about Red Maple but Sugar Maple is not a checking wood.  I would gamble and not seal anything but the ends.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
But you have plenty of knowledge and bow wood. It's not a bad thing to get into good habits when learning how to prep wood and build wood bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:40 am »
Yes, do seal the backs or they will check. Also they will dry better in a controlled environment like in a basement or garage. After a while(few weeks to a month) bring them inside to complete the drying. If the quarter splits are big enough you could split them again then.
Just waiting for the glue on the ends to cure. I don't want wood glue on my carpet...  )-w( Then I'll bring it to my room, which is relatively dry, and definitely stable. At this rate, I'll be shooting these in no time...  (-S
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!