Author Topic: Osage Sapling  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Osage Sapling
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:14 pm »
Osage heartwood will dye the water yellow.  Mulberry, black locust and honey locust will not.  Black locust will glow under a black light

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28:57 pm »
I'm going with Aaron on this one. That's locust if I've ever seen it. Wish I could be there cause I can tell osage right away by the smell. Nothing smells like osage.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 02:55:24 pm »
This really doesn't have a smell, so it's looking like locust is in the lead. Would the yellow coloration point toward honey locust?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 03:30:31 pm »
Whatever it is its junk. I just looked in on it and it has already developed several checks and splits in bad places  >:(
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 03:59:03 pm »
Yeah that can happen.  I see people get away with not sealing the backs, but every time I tried it checks developed.  So I now seal the ends right after cutting and the backs as soon as I strip the bark.  You want the moisture to escape from the sides of a split stave where cracks/checks won't develop. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 04:18:31 pm »
just seal it and try it anyway,, Im sure the cracks are running with the grain,,