Author Topic: Wood Identification  (Read 3003 times)

Offline IrishJay

Wood Identification
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:40:01 pm »
I cut this tree about a month ago, from the bark I thought it was ash, but once I felled it I saw a slight purple tint to the heartwood and thought it was possibly boxelder. I finally split it today and after sitting the purple tint is gone and the heartwood is a very distinct dark brown. At this point I have no idea what I have. It did split nicely. 

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Badger

Re: Wood Identification
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 04:29:22 pm »
  Looks like ash to me, but it could be any number of woods I am not familiar with.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:10:05 pm »
Couple close ups of the pith. It's chambered, making me think it might be black walnut. Still not sure.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:26:59 pm »
Upon further research, green ash has a chambered pith to, so I guess that doesn't help narrow it down any.

Offline M2A

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 06:32:22 pm »
I’m thinking black walnut by how it looks. Maybe take a few scrapes with a rasp or card scraper. Walnut has a distinct smell.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 06:42:29 pm »
I'll check the smell here shortly. Question, if it is black walnut do I work with the sap wood or do I chase a ring down to heartwood?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 06:48:06 pm »
The sapwood works well for black walnut.  I made a few with sapwood right under the bark and had good luck. 

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 07:16:01 pm »
Best close up of end grain pores I could get with my phone, definitely doesn't have the distinctive ring-porous pattern of ash.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »
It is black walnut.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 07:54:21 pm »
Next question, should I split the halves into quarters and try to get 4 staves or saw cut a slice out of each half just a little wider than the heartwood?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
You will need 1 3/4" to 2" wide limbs. I don't know how wide the halves are. You won't get much heartwood in the bow, maybe a little in the handle. You want to use the wood right under the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
I tried to split on of the halves into quarters and the split did not run as straight as the initial one did. I ended up with a skinny piece of scrap and a stave that can be cleaned up with saw. I'm going to try to split the other half tomorrow, hopefully it goes better. But at least I have one good one so far.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 10:16:20 am »
How skinny? Ive made a couple of really nice bows from run away splits, a good bow only needs very little timber and a split can just save you a lot of roughing out 😁

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 10:20:52 am »
Or if 40" of it is good it will make a billet :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 10:25:04 am »
If the first one didn't split as you wanted it to then saw the other one instead of splitting.