Author Topic: Preference: Checking tiller with video or pics?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Preference: Checking tiller with video or pics?
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:08 pm »
Question: Do you prefer to check your tiller by watching the limbs work dynamically - either by having a tiller tree set up a distance away and watching as you pull, or watching a video of the limbs being worked?  Or do you prefer to pull it and take a picture and look at the limbs sitting statically?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Preference: Checking tiller with video or pics?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:09:46 pm »
Also, if you have time, a quick tiller check.  Still on the long string. 60#@15".  I'm going to be recurving the ends eventually.  This is my first actual Osage stave and I'm not used to even this minimal amount of character. Haha.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:39:33 am »
If you have video, you can grab stills from it if you want stills for measurement or comparison.
So it's a bit of a no contest really.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:38 am »
I found slow motion video very helpful when I get a few inches short of FD by taping a shot. I can get a good look at how the limbs react on the draw and how the limbs return, pause/rewind/play at any time.  It has worked well for me. UP to that point a still pic seems to be enough. 

Tiller looks good to my eyes. Good luck on the build. Mike           

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:50 am »
I use the tiller tree to check tiller but not until I get the pic of me pulling to full draw, in my hands, can I really tell.
 Squinting your eyes while looking at character staves on the tiller tree helps give you the overall picture but eliminates the character distractions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:42:29 am »
I always tiller the last few inches holding the bow looking in my window as a mirror and also let my daughter take pics of the tiller when I draw it. My bows feel way more balanced since I started doing that

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:49 pm »
I like full draw digi pics. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!