Author Topic: Elderberry stave – how should I dry it?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mizzo

Elderberry stave – how should I dry it?
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:27:57 am »
Happy new year !!!

This is my first post – so hi to all

Recently I removed a branch from a newly fallen elderberry tree I found of on my way home.
I've got no experience with this type of wood. How would you prepare it to dry?
Should I remove the bark? Would you cut it in half or leave the handle?

Here some data:
ends: 5 and 4,5 cm 2/1.8 inch
stave: 138 cm / 54 inch

Any recommendations?

It's a kids bow!

Offline IrishJay

Re: Elderberry stave – how should I dry it?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:42:48 am »
Debark it, and seal the ends with some type of water proof sealant like polyurethane or shellac  to prevent checking. If you're going to make a bow that bends through the handle you probably dont want to split a stave this thin, you'll probably want the full thickness for the handle.  Be extra careful when debarking that you do not damage the outer growth ring. I'm new to this myself but I'm sure more experienced folks will weigh in. Good luck and welcome.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:52:52 am »
When you reduce the limbs be sure to go under the pith or the stave will check there for sure. Seal the back as well as the ends.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pinaka longbows

• If trouble was money, i could stop working..
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:34:44 am »
This stuff dries very quickly, i am sealing the whole thing, (rough cut out after debarking it and sawing of half of the stave what i am not planning to use).

Offline mizzo

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:25:03 pm »
ok, thank you for the tips!

Offline Jayman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:29:31 pm »
As said by previous people Debark and seal ends and to be safe seal the back. If it was me I would seal the whole stave since this wood dries so quickly. If stave is small in diameter then leave handle area and dig or push out pith area in the handle. Generally speaking elderberry has a large pith in smaller diameter trees, so it shouldn't be to hard to push the pith out.