Author Topic: Tru oil finish  (Read 2212 times)

Offline helmet

Tru oil finish
« on: December 27, 2018, 09:25:37 pm »
How many coats do you guys that use tru oil put on your bow? On final coat do you knock the shine off with steel wool?

Offline Weylin

Re: Tru oil finish
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:01:08 pm »
I do around 8-9 coats depending on how quickly the grain fills in. I hit it lightly with steel wool between coats to knock off the debris that might stick to it. After the last coat I wet sand it with 600 grit and then I polish it with a mixture of oil and pumice powder to give it a smooth satin finish. I recently made a video on my youtube channel showing the process. I can't post a link here but if you look up swiftwood bows on youtube you can find it.

Offline helmet

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 10:11:48 pm »
Thanks Weylin, I will check it out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:52:33 am »
I do 5 to 6 coats with a 0000 steel wool rubdown between each coat and a final light spray of satin poly to cut the shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 06:31:18 am »
I don't have near the experience of most on this forum but I can say I've used Weylin's method and had excellent results.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 06:38:43 am »
What Pat said purdy much. Some I hand rub oil polymerized beeswax and linseed oil. Some I do both.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:31:41 am »
I get my 8 or so coats down similar to the way Weylin suggest.   I follow Gordon's build along for the pumice oil mixture process.  Pages 9 and 10
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53195.120.html

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
I do the same as PatB

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:20:05 pm »
I do like Pat. If I'm going to hunt with it I knock the shine off with steel wool. I can always put another coat on after done hunting to make it shiny again.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:21:35 pm »
Nice thing about satin poly you can add Tru-Oil over it and it goes over Tru-Oil. When I write the bow's name and info I spray the area with satin poly, let it dry for a day and write on the info than wipe Tru-Oil over that than a spray of satin poly again to blend the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC