Author Topic: Question about natural reflex.  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Jayman

Question about natural reflex.
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:38:54 am »
Hey all, I am still really new to bow making with only 1 board bow and one kids bow made. I obtained this hickory stave and noticed it has a decent reflex in half of the stave. Should I not pay to close attention to it through the process or should i attempt to reflex the other side to match it?  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxIpe8gpUlw4Xt5JZjejEhv9GEHnP8Ui/view?usp=drivesdk
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:45:49 am by Jayman »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question about natural reflex.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 12:25:06 pm »
It looks to me that most of the reflex is in the center of the stave.
 I try to get both limbs even before tillering to make it easier to see proper tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:59:48 pm »
It looks to me that most of the reflex is in the center of the stave.
 I try to get both limbs even before tillering to make it easier to see proper tiller.

+1

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:36:30 pm »
It would be easier if you took the reflex out but if you could leave it for later on in your bow making it sure would be nice. Most of that relax will come out.
Check my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:40:33 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jayman

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:31:57 pm »
Thank you guys for the advice. I started on removing the cambium layer and will reduce the stave to rough bow dimensions and go from there. From what I gathered from the advice is to see where the limbs lay then decide to either add reflex to one or take the reflex out of the other to make limbs the same? Should I use steam or dry heat for corrections on hickory?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:28:46 am »
Dry heat should work fine for mild corrections. Hickory likes a good overall heat-treating as well.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb